Linksys wireless drops IP lease

Hi,

I've searched this thread with no luck. Maybe you can help.

As far as I can tell, a lot of people have got at problem with their wireless router are unable to renew the lease for an IP number.

I've got a Linksys WRT54G. I am using WEP encryption.

Whenever the problem occures, I simply turn off the router and turn it on again, and voila, I'm back on track.

I am sharing it with some people, they live next dorr. They do not have access to the router when I am not at home. I can tell them to shut off their firewalls, but I have no real control on what software or setup they have on their PC's. But I like to offer them the wireless connection nonetheless.

When the IP lease stops, the machines gets a "funny peculiar" IP numer in a different range. However, the PCs are still able to see the router. So my thought is:

Can i send a command to the router and kindly ask it to reboot? Of course I cant use the 192.168.1.1 - but can I use any technique to restart the router?

If no, any other tips on what to do - maybe make sure the renewing of the IP happens one every decade instead?

Thank you for your time,

Best regards, Frederik

Reply to
fab
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.