Linksys wireless drops IP lease

Hi,

I've searched this thread with no luck. Maybe you can help.

As far as I can tell, a lot of people have got at problem with their wireless router are unable to renew the lease for an IP number.

I've got a Linksys WRT54G. I am using WEP encryption.

Whenever the problem occures, I simply turn off the router and turn it on again, and voila, I'm back on track.

I am sharing it with some people, they live next dorr. They do not have access to the router when I am not at home. I can tell them to shut off their firewalls, but I have no real control on what software or setup they have on their PC's. But I like to offer them the wireless connection nonetheless.

When the IP lease stops, the machines gets a "funny peculiar" IP numer in a different range. However, the PCs are still able to see the router. So my thought is:

Can i send a command to the router and kindly ask it to reboot? Of course I cant use the 192.168.1.1 - but can I use any technique to restart the router?

If no, any other tips on what to do - maybe make sure the renewing of the IP happens one every decade instead?

Thank you for your time,

Best regards, Frederik

Reply to
fab
Loading thread data ...

not sure what you mean about dropping the lease ?

The lease is part of the pool of IP addresses handed out by DHCP. How is the DHCP settings defined on the router ? starting address ? numbers ? length of time ?

The "clients" will obtain an IP address and then use it as if it were static...

The "funny" address is probably the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx that is generated internally by Windows when it can't find a router to respond to the DHCP request.

Reply to
P.Schuman

Hi Schuman,

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

By "dropping" the lease, or failure to renew the lease, I mean that once in a while, once a day, the client PC's connected via wireless via the Linksys automatically changes their IP numbers to these internal IP numbers.

I understand about the DHCP, and what I am suggesting is that for some reason it is not working - and from searching the net, I came to the conclusion that a lot of people have that problem and are unable to fix it.

Since it can be tempoarily fixed with a reboot of the router, my question was - is there a way, AFTER the ip drops - or at least, maybe more precisely, after my IP number changes to an internal IP number - is there then a way to send at command from a PC connected to the wireless access point to please restart itself?

Best regards, Frederik

Reply to
fab

On 10 Apr 2007 13:59:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@eek.dk wrote in :

Make sure the router has the latest firmware. Otherwise, if possible, consider switching to DD-WRT firmware.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.