Linksys WGA54G unreachable via wireless once it has ethernet cable connection

All:

I got a brand spanking new Linksys WGA54G yesterday. I have a NetGear router and I was able to get the WGA54G set up on it OK. I'm running MAC filtering but no other security measures (no encryption). Without an ethernet cable plugged into the WGA54G, I can get a ping response wirelessly from it via multiple computers and I can see the WGA54G via my router. Once I plug an ethernet cable into a computer on which I've shut down all other connections (turned off wireless on it, etc. such that the ethernet cable leading to the WGA54G is the only connection via that computer), wireless functions on the WGA54G seem to cease. I no longer can ping it via any computer and I can no longer see it via my router. And the "Wireless G" LED goes out, too. If I unplug the ethernet cable, wireless remains gone on the WGA54G until after I unplug it and then plug it back in.

It was manufactured in Dec 2007 had came with a firmware version of

1.16. This version isn't anywhere to be found on Linksys' web site. The thing wasn't working anyway, at least not that I could see, so I "upgraded" the firmware to the latest version on Linksys' site, which was version 1.13. Same results.

Before I call this unit defective, anybody got any ideas?

Thanks. Kevin

Reply to
k-man
Loading thread data ...

The WGA54G box actually contains two MAC addresses. But the WGA54G can be pinged wirelessly, suggesting the that the correct MAC address is being used on the router MAC filtering. When the ethernet cable's plugged in, the WGA54G might be switching to the ethernet port's MAC address. Seems like putting both WGA54G's MAC addresses in the MAC filtering list should work. But it does not. Answer: Turn off CLONING.

Reply to
k-man

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.