Linksys WET11 vs Dlink SWL-810+

Hi group,

I'm about to put a wireless network into my three story townhouse and will be using the following setup ground floor: wireless bridge - xbox

1st floor: wireless router - firewall - dsl modem 2nd floor: wireless bridge - switch - pcs

After some research I have narrowed down the selection to two choices

- either a linksys WET11/BEFW11S4 combo or a dlink DWL-810+/DI-614+ combo. I'm having trouble choosing between them. Feature sets and price are pretty much the same. So I thought I'd draw on all the experience here and ask which do the group prefer and why?

Thanks,

Ash.

Reply to
Ash
Loading thread data ...

In article , Ash wrote: :I'm about to put a wireless network into my three story townhouse and :will be using the following setup

:After some research I have narrowed down the selection to two choices :- either a linksys WET11/BEFW11S4 combo or a dlink DWL-810+/DI-614+ :combo. I'm having trouble choosing between them. Feature sets and :price are pretty much the same. So I thought I'd draw on all the :experience here and ask which do the group prefer and why?

I have WET11/BEFS11S4 (almost exactly what you propose.) I choose the WET11 over the 614+ after looking at the archived postings for this group and seeing what people's experiences were. What I gathered was that if you have a 614+ and it works, then it is solid, but a non-trivial fraction of the time you can't get the device to work no matter what you do. On the other side, I found that very very few people had reported problems getting a WET11 to work.

As I recall, I also found an important technical detail. My memory is fuzzy now, so you should cross-check this, but I seem to recall finding out that the 614+ would only work with D-Link equipment; the WET11 was creditted to work with a number of different manufacturers.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Ash,

I have used both the linksys and the dlink bridges. At first I connected to my neighbor's dlink 610 dsl router with a dlink 810+ bridge. This worked great for about 6 mos, then his dlink 610 died. I pitched in a couple of bucks and he bought a Linksys dsl router (BEFW11S4) and I continued to use the dlink 810+ bridge for a while (about 4 months) Then I started to have problems with DNS resolves. I narrowed it down to the dlink 810+ and I replaced it with the WET11 which I still use to this day. It has been flawless. Never a dropped connection. I think my problem with the linksys router/dlink bridge combo was a firmware compatability between the 2 devices because I use the dlink 810+ today for other stuff and it works fine. Despite the fact that I havent been very impressed with Linksys stuff since Cisco took over (I have had many more firmware issues with Linksys devices since Cisco took over and I use Cisco stuff all over the place at my company and am a big proponet of their equipment) I would recommend the WET11 because of the better antenna and the large volume of users who have hacked the thing and know it backward and forward. The Dlink does work with other devices fine, (I have used it with Cisco, Netgear, Linksys and of course other Dlink devices)but go with the WET11...I doubt you will be disappointed.

Cheers,

Brad Park City, Utah

Reply to
bhokey

I use two WET11's to bridge a physical firewall. No problems.

The only problem I had setting the system up was that I tried to set the WET11's to infrastructure mode rather than ad-hoc mode.

Reply to
Jerry Park

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.