Linksys WET11 bridge

I have poured over dozens and dozens of messages in this group - but I need advice on these devices.

I want to set up a BRIDGE. I have two of these devices. I have worked for hours on this and frankly I think that they may belong under the tire of a car.

Does anyone know of an article describing a configuration that woks for a bridge?

I want to replace a long cable running between 3 floors. I actually thought that I made this work for an instant - unplugged one of the devices and moved it two floors and patched it in to the router. Traffic never passed again.

The only way I could get the wireless network to come up in ad-hoc mode was to turn on cloning and set both ends to the same MAC address. And I am of the opinion that it may be necessary to have a valid network and gateway - even though that seems to contradict those that have said that the IP settings are only required for administration. It is as if some broadcast must succeed.

Has anyone had any success with these things?

Reply to
L_B_F
Loading thread data ...

It must be more than that. It takes an act of congress to get the wirless portion to come up. I thinik it may be worse since I upgraded the firmware. I have no neighbors, so encryption is not as big an issue. In my opinion Linksys blew it with these - and compunded it by not fixing it in a firmware release.

Are the WAP11's any better? I can get them for less than I paid for these with the current rebate.

Reply to
L_B_F

Yes. They do need (different) IP addresses and do need to be in ad hoc mode. Other than that, they should work.

I quit using them because they only support WEP encryption.

Reply to
Jerry Park

I don't have a clue why the WET11 should not work as a bridge. However, the archives offer a clue: :

formatting link
I've had some aggrivation with the WAP11 v1.0 and v1.1 when run as a transparent bridge. It would hang about every other day requiring a reboot. Methinks you should be looking for a more modernish wireless bridge such as a WAP54G. If old and cheap is what you want, I've had excellent luck with DLink DWL-900AP+ (which is almost identical to the WAP11 v2.2). See:
formatting link
a shopping list.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.