Linksys, WEP turned off for some clients?

Is it possible to configure a Linksys Wireless-G router to require WEP/WPA for some clients, but allow other clients without it? From what I've seen, it appears to be an all-or-nothing deal. But, I would like to have, for example, my TiVo connect with no encryption, but enable encryption for my laptop. Any thoughts on how to do this?

Steve

Reply to
sdnakhla
Loading thread data ...

Probably not. However, it might be possible to make a better guess if you would kindly disclose the Linksys model number.

Not with any commodity router that I know of. There is a 3Com access point that offers per-connection individual setups which include encryption methods. I'm too lazy to lookup the number right now.

Dumb question: Why do you want to run your TIVO with no encryption? Is there a performance problem? At worst, WEP/WPA will burn about 15% of the max speed. What problem are you trying to solve with this solution?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I tried to do it, but I didn't find a way, what you coul do is filter MAC Address if you want to mantain secure your connection.

Reply to
heldmar

Try WEP again, but this time use a Hex key, not an ASCII key. Searching Google, there are many TIVO owners using WEP encryption with their wireless systems.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Can you not do even WEP on the Tivo? One easy and pretty cheap way is to use a second AP for the Tivo (or just a cable) ;)

Reply to
David Taylor

What I meant is I tried to filter WEP for some clients....and it was impossible, LinkSys comes with an standar of all or nothing, WEP keys for all or WEP keys for no one. That's it.

Reply to
heldmar

Oh. You'll find that only a few access points support per-client encryption settings. Some access points (i.e. 3com) do this through "client groups" where the access point is virtualized and can have multiple SSID's and configurations. For commodity hardware, it's one setting for everyone. I have one customer that has a public WLAN and a private WLAN. It was easy enough to setup using one wireless access point, but the level of control (i.e. turn it on/off) that the customer wanted was too much for a simple solution. So, I installed a

2nd access point at each location and that worked just fine. One was encrypted and secured, while the other was publicly accessible without encryption.

Incidentally, 802.1x is capable of delivering unique WEP keys for each session, but the access point has to support the feature and it requires that everyone use WEP or WPA. If you look at the Windoze XP SP2 Wireless Zero Config setup, there's a choice to have the access point deliver the WEP/WPA key using 802.1x. However, I don't think that "authentication with no encryption" is a useable option.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.