Linksys WAP54G v. WRT54G - Which one?

I need to add wireless capability to my existing home network. I have a D-Link DI-704P router that seems to be working fine so technically I only need a WAP. However, the prices on the Linksys WAP and router are comparable (identical in many places).

First, let's assume I don't want to replace my existing router. Does it make any sense (and is it possible/reasonable) to configure the WRT54G as a WAP only? Basically, if I only want/need a WAP, is there any significant functional differences between these two devices that would lead me to one or the other? I admit that buying more than I need (i.e. the router) doesn't necessarily make sense but that's why I'm asking.

Second, is there soemthing compelling in the the WRT54G that should make me consider more seriously replacing my existing router? A couple of months ago I had a bad experience with a D-Link DI-624 wireless router (wired client disconnects, couldn't get VPN to work, etc.) which is why I am leaning towards a WAP at this point (and non DLink equipment). My router location is also not great so a WAP gives me more flexibility in placement.

TIA for any guidance.

Douglas Gallant

Reply to
Douglas Gallant
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 02:43:21 GMT, Douglas Gallant spoketh

Yes, it is possible to configure the WRT as a simple access point. Connect one of the LAN ports on the WRT to your network, disable the DHCP server on the WRT and you should be good to go.

Is there any compelling reason to swap out your existing router with the WRT? Well, the router part shouldn't be any worse or better than what you already have. But, I believe the WRT supports QoS (Quality of service) when using an alternative firmware. This is handy for bandwidth throttling if you are using (or planning to use) VoIP or need to dedicate bandwidth to certain services.

So, which one do you pick? Well, that's entirely up to you. You can use the WRT both as a router and a simple access point. It may not support all the wireless modes of the WAP, but if all you need is one access point for you wireless laptop(s) to connect to, then you may not need any other modes...

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

I'm an idiot, so I blurt, but mean well. Blurt 1:Don't ask such tech questions without basic info-machine,OS,network components, ISP...whatever you'd ask.

Define.

Had to look that up. So all wired.

whatever that means. Golly...had to look up WAP:)

Assuming the DI-704P is not wireless, you have to buy one. Not to replace, but unless you have, I guess, 5 or more machines, you'll have an extra router.

I'm not clever enough to do that, but I'm pretty sure that it will be all WAP as long as you don't plug another machine into one of the four ports in the back. I've seen, but can't quote, posts on linking routers.

which two?

Happens to be the one we bought in Sept, with a laptp, so we could work on 1st floor, vs 3rd, where desktop and router are. Works great.

No, either router must come off the ISP feed. Unless I just don't understand:)

Reply to
avalanche

firmware?

Think or the WRT as a router a switch and an Wap all in one box. You can use all of it or just parts of it. The difference in the WRT WAP and the WAP WAP is the WAP54G can act as a bridge, AP Client, Repeater or a AP , (Wap = Ap =Wap) whereas the WRT will only act as an AP. .

Reply to
Airhead

Can you run the WRT as a WAP even with the LinkSys official firmware?

Thanks.

Reply to
meATprivacyDOTnet

That makes sense, Thanks.

Reply to
meATprivacyDOTnet

If your existing router is suffice for your needs, then go with the AP. It doesn't make sense to buy another router just to configure it as an AP unless you have a secific reason to do so. I've made that mistake.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.