Linksys WAP-11 in Repeater Mode

I've setup a WAP54G in repeater mode.

One common pitfall is not turning off WEP on both WAPs during setup. The trick is to establish communication without any WEP at all. Turn WEP back on only after both WAP's are talking to each other.

A power reset and/or firmware update may also help.

Lance

Norm thought carefully and wrote on 11/23/2004 6:23 PM:

Reply to
Lance
Loading thread data ...

Has anyone set up a Linksys WAP-11 in Repeater mode? Linksys tech support does not seem to know much about this. I have a network with a WAP-11 (wireless access point) and I am trying to use another WAP-11 in Repeater Mode to boost the signal.

I change the SSID and MAC address , but when I unplug the ethernet cable all I get is the Power light.and I do not seem to get any signal boost on the remote computer.

Reply to
Norm

WEP is turned off on both WAPs. Possibly the firmware update will help. What lights are on in Repeater mode? I only get the Power light. Thanks, Norm

Reply to
Norm

Same situation for me only with the WAP54G. Make sure you are running only the latest Linksys firmware....no Sveasoft. I spent hours trying to get it to work with Sveasoft to no avail.

Reply to
Todd B

Todd,

I checked the Linksys website and the last firmware update was 8/30/03, ver

2.8 and my WAP is ver 2.8. I am not sure what Sveasoft is?
Reply to
Norm

In repeater mode the WAP54G has the Power and Activity lights on. The Link light is off. When there is network activity the Activity light blinks, otherwise it's always on.

If it were me, I'd try hard resets on both WAP's then rebuild my network over again. If that didn't work, I'd exchange it for another one.

BTW, the latest firmware I see here:

formatting link
2.05. This is also the original release for the WAP11 v2.8

Sorry you're having problems.

Lance

Norm thought carefully and wrote on 11/24/2004 2:43 AM:

Reply to
Lance

In repeater mode the WAP54G has the Power and Activity lights on. The Link light is off. When there is network activity the Activity light blinks, otherwise it's always on.

If it were me, I'd try hard resets on both WAP's then rebuild my network over again. If that didn't work, I'd exchange it for another one.

BTW, the latest firmware I see here:

formatting link
2.05. This is also the original release for the WAP11 v2.8

Sorry you're having problems.

Lance

Norm thought carefully and wrote on 11/24/2004 2:43 AM:

Reply to
Lance
1-BEFW11S4

2-WAP11's

Befw11s4-is set up as hub connected to dsl router (working fine) due to

using only ethernet for now. Wireless turned off for now.

Bought 2-WAP11's to boost range.

1st. WAP11 onfigured only as Access Point w/ static ip of

192.168.2.254, on channel 6, ssid name homenet & its name is upstairs.

Still cat5 into router hub too. WEP off.

2nd. WAP11 is configured as repeater w/static ip of 192.168.2.253, on

channel 5, ssid homenet & its name is downstairs, in repeater area it

ask for mac address, I put WAP11 # 1 mac address there. Took off cat5

connection & moved downstairs (laptop can not see it now). WEP off.

After moving WAP #2 to downstairs laptop can not see it & or log into

it.

What am I missing

Big Thanks

Garry

Reply to
gtuttlepi

I have an old WAP11 that I just retired. I'd have to go double-check the manual, but I'm fairly sure that AP and Repeater modes were mutually-exclusive. So if you dedicated the WAP11's to a particular point-to-point link you would still require APs (in AP mode) at either end for workstations to connect to. Try checking out the WAP11 manual from the Linksys site to verify.

It sorta sounds like what you want to setup is a WDS (Wireless Distribution System), where the APs can still allow clients to connect. However the big downside to WDS is you lose half your bandwidth b/c after one AP receives a frame from a client it has to turn around and re-broadcast it to other WDS stations... but it's the easiest way to expand your wireless network. However, IIRC the WAP11 does not support WDS at all.

good luck, Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Reply to
Rôgêr

Much thanks for the 2 replys.

Since my post yesterday, I did get the wireless laptop to see, ping &

get into the both WAP11's to config. But what is still missing is the

ability to log into the internet. It sounds that this may not be the

route that I need to go. What does this group adivse on how to set up

(harware wise) a main hub (cat5 & wirless) to link to a DSL modem. Then

to have 2 access points to boost the signals so everyone in the house

can get connectivity to internet. I am open to almost anything. I would

kike to keep the hub we already have which was in my origianl post.

Any insight much appreciated

Garry

Reply to
gtuttlepi

Do you have a firewall? If so, is it blocking access to port 80 (internet)? Also, is one of your APs connected to a router that is connect to your DLS modem? If so, access the router's menu and select PPPoE in the WAN setup. There, you can type in the logon information that is required by your DSL provider.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

The router does see teh internet, it's seeing the internet through the

AP's that it wont do. Also, there are no firewalls running presently,

just so I can see everything. Garry

Reply to
gtuttlepi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.