Linksys WAG300 not appearing in Windows list of available networks

My Linksys WAG300 does not appear in the list of available networks on my HP desktop PC (XP Pro) but shows OK on a couple of laptops that I have. The desktop shows other wireless routers OK including some neighbouring ones.

But the HP desktop connects OK to the WAG300.

I can't see anything in the wireless setup on the desktop that is different from the laptop so can anyone suggest a reason why it does not see the WAG300 but connects to it?

MB

Reply to
Martin Briscoe (2)
Loading thread data ...

The message from Martin Briscoe (2) contains these words:

Has anyone any ideas about this?

MB

Reply to
Martin Briscoe (2)

Martin Briscoe (2) hath wroth:

Is that a WAG300N ? This product number doesn't seem to appear on the USA web pile. Looks like UK only... ok, found it:

Let's see if I have this correct. You say that it doesn't "appear" in the list of available networks on the HP but it does connect OK. Well, that's easy enough. You followed the marginal advice of the security experts and elected to NOT broadcast your SSID in the WAG300N. That means most wireless network discovery tools will not show the SSID. However, if you happen to know the SSID, you can create a "profile" for this network and it will connect and work.

Neither can I from here because I have no idea what maker and model laptop or desktop you own, what wireless card is inside, and what wireless client manager or utility you're using. Incidentally, if the wireless card happens to be a Netgear, and you're using the Netgear client manager instead of Windoze Wireless Zero Config, it will show such hidden SSID's, but not display the actually SSID.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The message from Jeff Liebermann contains these words:

It will be the UK part number

It is broadcasting SSID, I checked the settings and it also shows normally on my two laptops.

The desktop is a HP Pavilion, I did note down the name of the wireless card but can't find it now. I have just run down the desktop so will check in the morning. It is usuing the normal Windows wireless software, I know some of the cards that I have used with my laptops use their own software but this is the standard windows software.

MB

Reply to
Martin Briscoe (2)

The message from Jeff Liebermann contains these words:

The wireless card in the HP desktop is a Accton WN4201B but, as I wrote earlier, the standard Windows XP wireless manager is used.

MB

Reply to
Martin Briscoe (2)

correct. You say that it doesn't "appear" in

I think he means its not showing in the veiw all network's in windows i suspct that unPNP is off on the hp laptop.

Reply to
developers

Martin Briscoe (2) hath wroth:

Well, the Accton web pile doesn't show this number in either the products or driver download section:

Using Goggle, I find that it's an 802.11g PCI internal card, but that's about the extent of what I'm finding.

As I asked before: You say that it does not appear in the list of available networks on the HP but it does connect OK? Is this correct?

Does the HP desktop with the WN4201B find any *OTHER* wireless networks in the area? If so, that should be sufficient to prove that WZC is working.

If SSID broadcast is on in the WAG300, then it should show up on the "show available networks" list. The real question is whether it's a problem with your WAG300N or with your WN4201B. My guess would be the PCI adapter as it's fairly close to unsupported and possibly full of bugs.

I think there might be a way to intentionally NOT show a specific SSID or network in Wireless Zero Config, but can't find any references. I'll check when I get to an XP machine.

It might also be possible to use some invalid characters in the SSID that cause WZC to act oddly. Acceptable characters are letters, digits, spaces "_" and ".". No control characters or hex allowed. 32 characters maximum length. Any chance the SSID is weird?

Other than that, I either don't understand the problem, or am out of ideas.

Drivel: I just found a Microsoft patent for selecting wireless access points by SSID.

Good to know that MS invented wireless networking.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On 29 Jan 2007 05:30:29 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@thuk.co.uk" wrote in :

appear on the

UPnP has nothing to do with the SSID, so I doubt that's a factor.

Reply to
John Navas

appear on the

I dont think he said exactly what he ment by "see"

Reply to
developers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.