Linksys updating woes

While I'm sitting here doing video conversions, .... -)

I have a Linksys router WRT54G ver 7. Someone has been playing with it and, I think, corrupted the firmware. I have done the full button reset (and > 1 min if anybody asks).

When logging in, I get access to the 192.168.1.1 page but then get confronted by a "Management Mode Firmware Upgrade" page.

Been to the Linksys web site. Unimpressed in a general sense because I'm trying to get the original firmware for the model (correct me if I shouldn't be doing this). Bless me but when I get here

Link to Linksys.....>

formatting link
.. I don't see a link to the download file. There is a V7 file yes? Should I go with a different firmware?

Help will be appreciated.

Reply to
Black Icarus
Loading thread data ...

All you need to do is reinstall the drivers from the CD. If you don't have the CD, you can load the CD from the website (correct me if I'm wrong, as I always back up all my installation disks).

Let the install run up to the point it asks you for new system password, you don't really need to let it try to complete the configuration. You may have to force end teh program with via the Task Manager.

Go to 192.168.1.1 again. Enter the default password of "admin", leaving the user name blank.

Reply to
DTC

I you real sure it's a 54G not a 54GS? There is a version 7 for the GS, which has speed booster.

Reply to
Pen

you might try the Linksys forum over on - Broadband Reports -

formatting link

Reply to
P.Schuman

Since you use "Telstra" did you try the Linksys Australia site?

formatting link
Given the number of issues that have been resolved with the later firmware I would suggest you use the version listed and not try to get a copy of the "initial release".

Reply to
LR

Great link. The early versions are there. Thank you.

I'm not familiar with the "problems" to which you allude. So far, I have the wizard and bin file from the linksys-au site (V7) and from the another Linksys site, a version V7.2.

The notes/info from there indicate that 7.2 is not backward compatible with earlier WRT54G V7 models. You're more or less saying that Aus version (V7) as it exists is preferable to an even earlier version?

Reply to
Black Icarus

Always in small offices, the disks will be lost. It's a Murphy's law kind of thing.

Reply to
Black Icarus

Reply to
Black Icarus

Your original post said that you wished to have the "original" firmware The original firmware for the V7 router was 7.00.1. F/ware 7.00.3 resolved some 34 issues that the original firmware had so it would be foolish to consider using the original f/ware.

formatting link

Reply to
LR

Understood now. Thanks.

Reply to
Black Icarus

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.