Linksys site survey shows lots of info. on nearby wireless networks

I am using Linksys wireless adapter. On site survey, I am able to see the list of nearby wireless networks. For each wireless network, I am able to see the SSID, wireless mode, Channel, Security mechanism, MAC address.

It is quite scary because we could see MAC address too? That means people can hack the system?

I have seen some SSID that doesn't use any encryption at all. Does it mean I am able to login to that wireless network without any security? But I tried and it says couldn't find the access point. I am confused because that wireless network can be scanned on site survey, then how come it says couldn't find the access point?

please advise. thanks!!

Reply to
apngss
Loading thread data ...

Crossposted to 4 different marginally related newsgroups again. Some Linux, some Windoze. Must be a really important question.

Gosh. I didn't know Linksys only made one model wireless adapter. Is there some reason to not disclose the model or hardware version? What are you trying to hide?

No. That means that when big brother finds you screwing around with other peoples systems, or spamming, or wreaking havoc, they have a fair idea of who's doing it by the MAC address. 802.11 wireless is bridging, which is done exclusively with MAC addresses and has no layer 3 IP address services or features involved. 802.11 would not work without MAC addresses.

A MAC address is like your house address. Simply knowing the address does not allow the random hacker to enter the house. There are various layers of security in both the house and the wireless system. You might want to read about them before going into paranoia mode.

Open access points. Some are fee wireless hot spots. Some are people that intentionally want to share their broadband connection with any passerby. Most are members of the GUM (great unwashed masses) who deploy their wireless router in the default condition, with no security at all.

In some states, unauthorized use of someone elses network is considered a felony. You're at: 69.107.74.225 adsl-69-107-74-225.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net which is apparently near me in Santa Cruz CA. That's a PPPoE assigned SBC DSL line with an ATM PVC to Pleasanton, CA. Drop into my office sometime and I'll explain how it all works.

Easy. The site survey requires only one to two packets to generate an entry. A connection requires quite a bit more back and forth negotiation. If you had a weak signal to work with, you would see it on the site survey tool, but connections would be dubious. There are also a bunch of systems that allow unencrypted connections to the access point, but which go nowhere until you successfully authenticate with a VPN or SSL web client. There's one local idiot that allows anyone to connect, and then probes the hell out of their machine with all kinds of scripted exploits, worms, viruses, etc.

Advice: Ask the owner before you play with their system.

More advice: Don't crosspost.

Even more advice: If you have a question, kindly supply:

1. What problem are you trying to solve?
  2. What do you have to work with (exactly)?
  3. What have you done so far?
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The WUSB54G shows all that info with the LINKSYS software. If they have GPS support... I wouldnt need NetStumbler. I got the WUSB54G for a client and while setting it up for them, I saw 4 other networks.

Reply to
WRC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.