Linksys router installation

I have installed Linksys WRT54G wireless routers several times before in simple home situations. So with my vast amount of experience, I offered to install one at my church. Well, I discovered a hornet's nest and don't know how to proceed.

They have DSL, a Cicso Router and a Novell Network. Way over my head.

I don't want to mess with their network. But I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to install the wireless router in between the DSL Modem and their network, just feeding through the DSL signal through the WRT54G. But I don't know how to accomplish this because I'm sure it must involve changing the subnet or something, so that the WRT54G doesn't create IP conflicts with the Cisco router already installed.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I've tried the Linksys website but can't find any info on what I'm trying to do here.

Reply to
Michael Erb
Loading thread data ...

Disable DHCP on the WRT and plug a LAN port into the switch. Crossover cable may be required.

Reply to
Dom

Dom, you lost me right after "disable DHCP on the WRT".

You're dealing with someone who doesn't know much about these things.

Are you saying that the Linksys is actually getting plugged into the Cisco Router by an ethernet crossover cable?

Sorry to be so dense about this, but it just doesn't quite make sense to me. I believe the Linksys has 4 LAN ports and 1 WAN port. Are you saying that I should use a crossover cable from one of the LAN ports on the Cisco router and run that to the WAN port of the Linksys?

So then is the Cisco router assigning IP addresses to whatever might be connecting wirelessly to the Linksys, since the DHCP on the Linksys has been turned off?

Michael

Reply to
cnymike

Below is what you're trying to do with the second router. You just use Cisco IP(s) in the second router pointing its setup to what the Cisco router information is about.

formatting link
When you disable DHCP on the second router and plug into a LAN port on the first router, then the Linksys is just a wire/WAP switch as being explained in the link below and is not a router any more.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Duane, thanks for the info and links. I'll check them out on Monday and see if I can make it work. Thanks again.

Reply to
Michael Erb

The linksys link you sent says this...

"Once the Setup page loads, youll need to change the LAN IP Address to correspond with the other routers IP subnet. For example, if your other router is set to 192.168.1.1, then youll need to set the wireless router to an IP Address of 192.168.1.254."

How do I determine what the other routers IP subnet is? It's a cicso router with an additional hub and its feeding a novell network but that's all I know.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Erb

When I look at "Network Connections" and click on the LAN icon, I see the following information...

IP Address: 10.10.10.10 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Assigned by DHCP

This is coming from the Cisco router I guess as I have not begun to hook up the Linksys WRT54G yet.

Do I have enough information to now setup the Linksys router and hook it into the existing network? I ask because I've never seen an IP address like 10.10.10.10 before. Usually it's more like 192.168.1.101 or something along those lines.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Erb

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.