linksys router for home network

I have two computers in my home, one upstairs, one downstairs. The computer downstairs has has a cable modem and internet running to it. I recently bought a linksys wireless router wrt54g and a pci adapter wmp54g to give my other computer (upstairs) access to the internet. Internet is working great on both computers now, windows xp setup the router and card automatically. My question is whether i can use this equipment to also network these two computers for file sharing, printing, games, etc... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
roxbury
Loading thread data ...

"roxbury" wrote in news:1121025201.565162.162740 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Yes, you can. It's bascially the same has having a wired router. Should be simple to set up with Windows XP, which I assume you are using.

The Chairman

Reply to
The Chairman

"roxbury" wrote in news:1121025201.565162.162740 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

File and Print Sharing is the configuration of the O/S between two machines to share resources. The router wired or wireless only provides the plumbing to do it.

formatting link
You want to play Internet games, then you may need to open ports on the router.

formatting link
However, port forwarding is a high risk activity with the router but it's better than exposing the machine in the DMZ.

You should look into using Wallwatcher to review inbound and outbound traffic to possible dubious remote IP(s). That will require you to change the firmware to one of the ones that will work with WW on the 54G.

formatting link
formatting link

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Wireless routing is just radio instead of wires. And Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio, replied: "You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

-- Jafo

Reply to
Jafo

Hence the term "cat5."

Reply to
Doug Anderson

Yes, however, you don't mention it, so if you have not secured your network, I would suggest first reading up on wireless security BEFORE you start opening things up. An unsecured wifi network is like an ethernet jack at the end of your driveway (except it is even easier to be not seen when on YOUR wifi link ... ). Check out the following links:

Wireless - Basic Configuration -

formatting link
Wireless - Basic Security -
formatting link
MVP Barb Bowman on wireless security -
formatting link
The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
formatting link
You might also find this one interesting:
formatting link
Sorry if you are familiar with the above -- for those that are not, it can be quite interesting discovering who you are sharing your network with.

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields

:)

-- Jafo

Reply to
Jafo

I was getting worried there. If a joke falls in a forest and nobody hears it...

Reply to
Doug Anderson

It's off-topic, but your remark reminds me of "If a man is in a forest, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?" :)

-- Jafo

Reply to
Jafo

Yes. All the 802.11b/g wireless does is encapsulate the 802.3 ethernet packets. It's exactly as if you had plugged into the wired switch (except there's no wires).

However, there are complications. The WRT54G has a feature called "AP Isolation" which is really "client isolation". It will prevent one wireless client from talking to another. This is useful for coffee shop hot spots, but not a great idea for the home user. It's off by default and should not be a problem.

I'm not sure of the relative position of the upstairs/downstairs networks, but antenna orientation may be a problem. The antenna pattern is a donut like torus with the antenna through the hole. There's not much signal straight up or down. Therefore, if you need coverage in the up or down direction, move one or both antennas from the typical vertical position to horizontal. That will help.

How to setup Windoze XP file sharing.

formatting link
you're using the Windoze XP SP2 firewall, be sure to add "File and Print Sharing" to the exceptions list.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.