linksys or netgear?

My local distributor answered essentially this same question for me in saying that they have LOTS of troubles and support calls on Linksys products, but literally no troubles with Netgear. So I went with Netgear myself and for several of my customers and have had zero problems. Coincidentally, I'm now working on one customer's laptop from hell with Linksys in it; I can't get it to function at all. The driver doesn't install cleanly the first time but requires a couple of tries to 'get it right'. It just feels flaky. I can't speak specifically to the model you reference, but in general terms I think the NG stuff has much better quality control... I'd say go with Netgear.

eno

DotCom wrote:

Reply to
eno
Loading thread data ...

Hi All, I am getting a laptop from Dell with Windows XP MCE operating system. MCE requires certain specs of which I can get either the Linksys WRT55AG or the Netgear WGU624. I don't know which one is best. Anyone have and input on either of these wireless routers? TIA dot

Reply to
DotCom

I second that emotion. I have found Linksys wireless router frequently dropped connection while Netgear works fine. It's possible Linksys may have come out with new products since then.

Reply to
omni

I went thru 3 Linksys wifi routers before retuning them for a Netgear 814. I have had the Netgear up for over 6 months and have power cycled it all of once. Need I say more. Also Dlink is as good. I installed one for friend and he has had no problems.

Tom

Reply to
trash

NETGEAR IT IS! THanks everyone!

Reply to
DotCom

How strange. I've been through several Netgear routers, several Linksys routers, a Belkin, and Actiontek, and a Westell. The Netgear have all been crap. Their routing table is limited to about 220 entries which is my biggest beef agains Netgear. And Netgear tech support is absolutely pathetic. They once told me that the fix for my 100mbps hub locking up was to set my nics to 10mbps (seriously, this is what they told me!). Of course, Linksys tech support isn't much better, but Belkin tech support takes the alltime award for clueless script reading support people.

The Linksys have never caused any problems at all. The Actiontek is worse the Netgear, and the Westell is the most reliable router I have.

I'm currently using a WRT54GS on my desk and a WRT54G on the other side of my apartment to extend the range of my wireless network. My son lives across the parking lot, and he gets a 100% reliable connection into my network.

Reply to
Ook

Actually, the BEFSR41 series were a bit rough. I'm not sure if they had some bad hardware runs of if the firmware was flaky. Today's Linksys firmware is rock solid. I don't think you can say the same for Netgear, last I heard they were still trying to get a handle on the spontaneous reboot problem.

Reply to
Ook

I've used Linksys since my original 802.11B router, years ago.

Always flawless.

Reply to
Tom Scales

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.