Linksys or Netgear

Thanks, and the problem I am getting that some people say the Linksys firmware is fine, and some says the Linksys firmware is the worst. And I don't know which I to turn to.

formatting link

Linksys WRT160N is selling for around $55-60 all over places. And sometime ago the local stores had it onsale for $49.xx. Best Buy is selling the refurbished for $39.xx

So, I don't have any problem with the price (and I believe the "N" speed is faster than my current "G" speed too), but too many negative feedbacks to worry me. And I don't mind paying $50-60 to find out the truth, but because I don't have much experience with wireless router so I don't want to get into trouble.

So far, I have installed 3 routers (2 wired and 1 wireless) without any major problem, except the current Buffalo wireless router I can't connect more than one wireless system.

And with your confirmation, I may just grab the Linksys WRT160N to give it a try then.

Reply to
Joel
Loading thread data ...

I don't know what it has, all I have is using whatever came with the Buffalo, then while setting it asked or give the option to check for newer version which I did TWICE. That's it!

May be mine is defected? I think I may give the Linksys WRT160N a try as it's so cheap and it's faster than my old "G" speed.

Reply to
Joel

Had good service from this one in both your roles: Linksys WRT54GL

formatting link

Reply to
Airman Basic

formatting link
>

no reason not to have multiples (ie if you change the defailt starting ip addy and ssid to something unique, so it doesn't conflict with what you already have, then you can just plug it in to one of your existing router ports, and try it out/tweak things) (ie i started with just PPinMD and now am up to PPinMD-M, all daisy chained together and all working at the same time... ie browsers/mail progs etc will try to use 192.168.1.1 for internet access, just use a different subnet for your new thing (like a starting addy of 192.168.10.1, makes that router be on a different subnet, but can still use the original subnet for internet access)

point is, you can leave the buffalo online and working for now, and (with the minor starting ip addy change) just add the new one to what you already have so you can try it without changing what you already have working

Reply to
Peter Pan

+1

I have 6 Linksys wireless routers in service around the home and office, with 5 of them being the WRT54GL v1.1. All are running dd-wrt firmware.

Reply to
Char Jackson

I doubt trying to psychoanalyse the OP is going to get you any closer to helping him with a wireless networking problem.

I didn't say either of these pieces of equipment works as a wireless bridge client [although doubtless the hardware is capable of it]. I said [at the risk of repeating myself] they are shipped with their wireless and wireless ports bridged, which will make them function as an access point.

Put "wireless bridge dg834g" into the search box on that Netgear website, click 'Go' and click on the first hit.

Reply to
alexd

Go with the Netgear. This site explains how to do what you're asking with two or more of these:

formatting link
As the site says, make sure it's v3 or newer.

The Linksys model doesn't support WDS with stock firmware, and doesn't seem to run third party firmware either.

Reply to
alexd

That link's table says (only) that v3 & v4 of the named device supports WDS. The OP specified v5.

But...

I didn't find else in those numerous hits to be as helpful as accessing the netgear device's manual and searching on bridge. It has plenty of configurability and functionality in that regard. I didn't get any clue from that manual that there was some kind of big difference between the versions.

I can't find much about bridging in the cisco device's docs. The term 'bridge mode only' is only mentioned in 3 words in the setup, but the configurability isn't shown.

Reply to
Mike Easter

formatting link
>>

The 192.168.xx.x is about all I know and it's the only thing I did to get the routers started (this is my 3rd router).

I pretty much set the IP and gateway to AUTO, and the only thing I have ever done is setting the security, Name & Password (instead of the default), and because of the problem connecting more than one wireless system I set the maximum connection to around 50-60+ or so which is way way more than I need (or I may need no more than 4-5).

Other than that none of the laptopns have any problem connecting to other wireless network (with multiple connections). So I know for sure laptopns don't have any problem, I don't think Windows is the problem either as I have upgraded both software (from Win98, WinXP, and now Win7) and hardware (the current system just built few months ago).

I am using COX HS Internet, and don't know anything about subnet, gateway, IP but using the AUTO option.

Reply to
Joel

You would please tell me little more about the DD-WRT. I have heard quite afew people mentioned about it, I tried to read but it's way more than I can understand. My question is

- Is the Linksys own firmware or WRT ok, usuable?

- How easy to replace Linksys's WRT with the 3rd party DD-WRT?

- If I use the DD-WRT do I have to do anything special, or is the default setting is ok?

And I guess that different Linksys model may require different version of DD-WRT? I have tried to look for info of DD-WRT few years ago but it was so confusing.

Reply to
Joel

formatting link
> >>

nothing to do with the auto setting, but in the router setup, only set (or changed from the default) once when you first install it (like when you set the password/ssid etc), usually one of the first things asked, basic settings, you can change the overall ip address for the router (something like local ip address).... routers come from the factory with default ip address set.... normally no reason to putz with it, but *if* you wanted to just plug it into your existing router, it can't have the same starting address as another router on your network, if you don't want to have both active at the same time, then nevermind...

was just giving you a simple way to have both/add the new to your existing one, rather than getting rid of the older one first....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Hmmm since I do not have any knowledge of thse so I am still in the dark. I think I can reset, remove, or renewal the COX HS Internet for another available IP, but from the router then I do not have any knowledge.

I was doing some research about Linksys and DD-WRT and run into several like the link below (similar in Newegg and few other forums).

formatting link
I am so confused!

Reply to
Joel

formatting link

Reply to
atec7 7

The above is what of several links I just read in the past few days, and I think it was the one I read few years ago. But because it has mass amount of technical informations that I have no clue where to start. Last night, I searched for the combination of LinkSys WRT160N and DD-WRT then I found out something about the WRT160M v1, v2, v3 and some link mentions v3 has some serious issue, and DD-WRT only work with some Linksys version/generation.. then different version of DD-WRT and different steps for different version etc..

So it may be easy for you guy with some experience, but some of us shooting in the dark with a pair of sunglasses which makes thing even darker.

IOW, I have tried to help myself but without some specific direction it's little too much to follow (and you know sometime someone may send to opposite direction too). Like I read somewhere saying version A is the correct one, then someone correct saying version B is the right one for the specific model, then someone else says C is the right one. And I am standing in middle of 4-WAY STOP staring at version D And I only want a simple working router, I don't care about any fancy features those I don't know the differences (yet). And I read more negative about the WRT160N than possible, and when I read the possitive from Peter Pan I was about 90% sure I may give it a try, then I read even worse negatives. IOW, I do trust Peter Pan, but others negatives make me feel like it may depend on luck?

Reply to
Joel

guess i wasn't exactly clear, every device on your network (wired or wireless) has an ip address, (and the internet too, but you have no control over what ip addy get handed out by cox to its modem).... point is, the default ip addy for most wap/ap's/routers is 192.168.1.1, and most likely thats what the buffalo already uses... if you get a new thing and just replace the existing one, no problem, but if you want BOTH working at once, they will probably have the same addy (192.168.1.1)... having two devices with the same addy is not a good idea.. so the point was to change one so you don't have two the same, or don't use two... when i mentioned plan b, it was to change the new one and use it with what you already have, rather than replace/throw away the old, what you already have

as for that site, here my opinion (gleaned from fixing umpteen million broken things)... did the complainer screw with it or follow directions? (yes he did screw with it, see website instructs say run software that comes with it FIRST, even the bright orange sticker on the back blocking the port says "run included software FIRST" so what did he do (think he ran the included software FIRST)? "Here is how I spent my Friday night. Fun times! I got home, plugged it in, turned on the wireless,".. did he run the software FIRST) if they screwed with it, then any complaint trying to blame someone else is ignored (you'd be amazed how many people want to blame others not themselves)

at any rate, linksys/cisco doesn't even manufacture/sell the old 160's... their current line is the E-series, only plus to the old one is they are cheap for blowout/on sale at various places/sold at walmart....

be aware that there is a term "paralysis by analysis"

Reply to
Peter Pan

two points, see other post about people not following directions, doing it THEIR way instead of the manufacturer recommended way (and then complaing it doesn't work, but they never followed directions!)

first of all, the wrt160n is not currently in production anymore (see the linksys/linksysbycisco webste, current is the E-series, so you are asking about an older product with a 3rd party firmware), and which specific version it is v1/v2/v3/v4/etc you won't even know until after you buy it point is you have to evaluate the negatives, are ALL fords lemons cuz there are a few reveiws that say ford's are crap? or to continue with the car analogy, gas and brake don't work... did you follow directions and start the engine and put the car in gear FIRST?

at any rate, whatever you get, i would suggest getting it somewhere locally that has a liberal return policy (thats why i like walmart, that and my preference to just go in and get stuff, not windowshop like in a mall)

Reply to
Peter Pan

formatting link
>

Sure, try it with the OEM firmware. If you're happy with it, you're golden. If you want more, check this link:

formatting link

Reply to
Airman Basic

Both are perfectly usable for most people. The dd-wrt firmware's primary benefit, IMHO, are the additional features it provides.

On a 1-to-5 scale, it's easy, maybe a 1. It can be intimidating to someone who hasn't done it before, and to be honest there are a few things to watch for and a few ways things can go wrong, but overall it's quite a simple process. Step by step guides can easily be found online.

The standard stuff like changing the password, enabling wireless security, etc.

To find a suitable firmware version, I'd probably start here:

You're also a good candidate for something a little more simple, but less featured, like the Tomato firmware that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Reply to
Char Jackson

It's kinda more than that and that's the problem I am having. Example.

- Many people saying that the stock firmware is so bad, that they have to use the 3rd party DD-WRT.

- Some reports saying that they had problem with the WRT160N and the Linksys wants to charge them $10 to connect to their systems to find out the problem etc.. which I never have this paid service (except the local COX HSI) before to know much about it.

IOW, I don't know much about wireless router to look for any thing more special than the working default and stock firmware. I may not mind to use third party firmware like DD-WRT if it causes no problem.

Do you mean not the current technilogy WRT160N is a discontinued model? I do realize that Linksys has several higher end models like GIGA speed, Dual-Band etc. which I don't mind going for them either (even I don't need that extra speed), but I heard lot of report about them (or not the most popular models).

I see the local Wal-Mart has WRT160N Extra Range for $59 now.

Reply to
Joel

Yes, Buffalo and the other wired routers do use the 192.168.xx.x to get to the MENU to configure the router. And COX or the router add another IP #'s to each wired and wireless connection. Example

System #1 192.168.1.2 System #2 192.168.1.3 System #3 192.168.1.4 and so on and something like that.

So there is no duped IPs issue here. And on my Toshiba laptop before upgraded to Win7 I was able to connect to the current Buffala as the 2nd wireless connection. But I have to lets either the Dell, HP, Sony connected first then the Toshiba, but it stops working after upgraded to Win7

So, the mystery here seems like something else going on, not the router as I was able to connect to 2 laptops before, and not the laptops as they don't have any problem connecting to other wireless networks (like college, hospital, public etc.)

And Wal-Mart is selloing the Linksys E1000 for $59 too, but too new to have any feedback yet.

And as long as it works I don't have problem with the price, so I may go for the E2000.

Arggg... I never have any problem making any decision except this cheapie router.

And thanks for the info.

Reply to
Joel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.