LinkSys Gateway and Printer Connection Help

Hi,

I've just installed a LinkSys ADSL Gateway (router) and at the moment I am connecting to the gateway from a desktop and a laptop both by wireless i.e. there is nothing hard wired to the ethernet ports of the gateway. My printer currently connects to my desktop via a USB connection but I'm thinking of gettting a USB->Ethernet adapter and connecting my printer to the router rather than the desktop. This would mean the laptop and desktop would be connecting to the router by wireles and the printer would be connected to the router via the ethernet connection.

Question is, would this work? Would I be able to see the printer and print to it from the laptop and the desktop? Do I need some kind of print server? If it would work, any recommendations for the USB->Ethernet adapter?

Many thanks,

Scott

Reply to
Scott
Loading thread data ...

news:b78af5a3.0501171130.39effe9

laptop

ethernet

desktop

USB->Ethernet

connecting

connected

You can share your printer connected to the PC with the laptop without a print server. First make the printer shared.......right click printer icon and select shared Select add printer on the laptop, select network printer When it ask for the printer name type in \\\\yourPCsName\\printersharename It should now show up on the laptop.

Reply to
Airhead

Linksys makes a nice print server just for this. Connects two prints (one USB, one parallel). Works both wired and wireless. I like mine.

A little pricey.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Scales

printer

computer

connection

connection

setup. I

Yes, I just added the comment in case he thought it was the only way to share his printer. Cause I am a nice guy.

Reply to
Airhead

figured

Maybe you could be my personal post reader. I evidently have a hard time understanding :0)

Reply to
Airhead

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Scott) wrote in news:b78af5a3.0501171130.39effe9 @posting.google.com:

Unless I am mistaken, it's not going to work because you need a USB driver installed on the router to run a USB connection. Can you install a USB driver on the router? You can do it on the computer that has a USB connection, because the computer has a driver for the USB port that's installed on the computer. I use a printer server that's connected to the router on a RJ45 LAN port that is connected to the printer server that is connected via parallel connection (I think they make print servers with a USB print server connection too.) to the printer. The print server allows all machines wired and wireless to share the printer that's connected to the router.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"Tom Scales" wrote in news:SmVGd.589$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

I use a Cables To Go print server for my wired and wireless setup. I think they make a wireless only print server too.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"Airhead" wrote in news:41ec2aa0$1$22517 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.cablerocket.com:

Did you even bother to read the OP's post as to what he wanted to do?

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I am just checking. The post did kind of imply that he had that figured out. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"Airhead" wrote in news:41ec537a$0$22514 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.cablerocket.com:

Well, if you got a decent NG reader like Xnews (free) instead of using OE, which will do proper bottom posting on the thread that OE cannot do, that will leave me out of your replies so that Xnews doesn't alert me to your bottom posting and I wouldn't see you. ;-) Please, you should check out Xnews or some other NG reader that will do automatic and proper bottom posting on replies.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I hate bottom posting. If i wanted to read the thread from the start again, well I would.

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

"Robert Jacobs" wrote in news:2RZGd.1860$CI6.252@trnddc06:

Do you see me bottom posting all over the top of someone else? ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

So Robert Jacobs maybe you could tell me how a speech synthesiser used 'read' text to visually impaired users would handle this posting (as it is displayed by your news reader) and make sense to such a visually impaired user?

Don't be selfish. Don't top post.

Reply to
the_big_bin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.