Linksys Firmware

Whats the best custom Firmware for linksys products?

specifically WRT54G and a FVS318. I'm not using any of the VPN functions on the FVS318, i'm just looking for something with a GOOD built in LOG of what everybody is doing. Also, if i could block specific ports for a specific person, that would be a good feature.

Any suggestions? I haven't looked into custom firmware at all, and figured i'd see what you guys had to say before i started downloading anything.

Smowk

Reply to
Smowk
Loading thread data ...

Sorry, I have no idea.

For logging, I use:

formatting link
Linksys routers will generate an SNMP trap every time a new IP address is opened. It won't tell you everything about what people are doing, but will give you a tolerable idea. However, it's not "GOOD" as you probably want traffic details. For that, you'll probably need to sniff the WAN connection with:
formatting link

That's an ACL (access control list) which is a common feature of Cisco routers. Instead of trying to do something complex, I suggest you invest in a Cisco router, which will do everything you ask. For wireless, I would use an access point instead of a router, or a router wired as an access point.

Incidentally, our neighborhood wired and wireless LAN was run by an old Cisco 2514 router, which is heavily monitored. The only reason I replaced it with cheap junk was I didn't like the fan running all the time.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.