Linksys E1000 DDNS Question

I have a Linksys E1000 wireless router and a home Linksys webcam which I often view from remote locations. Normally the IP address is static but the ISP has changed the IP address once without notice, so I decided to sign up with dyndns.org and activate the DDNS service on the router in case it changes again.

My question is when and how often does the router update the IP address with dyndns.org? In looking at the log of my dyndns.org service, the information never gets updated but of course the IP address hasn't changed. So am I correct to assume that the dyndns.org information only gets updated when the IP address changes? Or is it a set interval like every 28 days?

I've looked for the information on the Linksys website and also the router help files but have not found the answer.

Reply to
Bobster
Loading thread data ...

view from remote locations. Normally the IP address is static but the ISP has changed the IP address once without notice, so I decided to sign up with dyndns.org and activate the DDNS service on the router in case it changes again.

dyndns.org? In looking at the log of my dyndns.org service, the information never gets updated but of course the IP address hasn't changed. So am I correct to assume that the dyndns.org information only gets updated when the IP address changes? Or is it a set interval like every 28 days?

Any update which assigns the hostname to a new IP address is considered "good"; all other updates are considered unnecessary and therefore "abusive."

What this means is that the router only sends updates when the IP address changes. I don't know how it works with the E1000, but in DD-WRT, the current IP address is saved in NVRAM so that it's available between power cycles. The firmware checkes every 2 hours for a change. If the DHCP or PPoE lease on the WAN port changes, it also checks for a new IP address. Only when there's a change, does the router send and update to DYNDNS. That's why you don't see any recent updates on the DYNDNS status page. I just checked mine and some of my customers IP addresses haven't been updated for many months.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Any update which assigns the hostname to a new IP address is considered "good"; all other updates are considered unnecessary and therefore "abusive."

What this means is that the router only sends updates when the IP address changes. I don't know how it works with the E1000, but in DD-WRT, the current IP address is saved in NVRAM so that it's available between power cycles. The firmware checkes every 2 hours for a change. If the DHCP or PPoE lease on the WAN port changes, it also checks for a new IP address. Only when there's a change, does the router send and update to DYNDNS. That's why you don't see any recent updates on the DYNDNS status page. I just checked mine and some of my customers IP addresses haven't been updated for many months.

Reply to
Bobster

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.