Linksys Compact Wireless G Internet Video Camera can't access it over the net - need help from someone who does

DanR said

I agree. I see what you mean after looking at it. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
googlegroup2006
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com hath wroth:

It means that it absolutely insists that you give it a DNS server. That's kinda hard to do if you're not connected to the internet, where the DNS server is located. 0.0.0.0 means "don't bother me" or something similar. If it won't take 0.0.0.0, then give it any IP address except it's own IP. You won't be using DNS for this test so don't worry about it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I am trying to set the DNS to 000 under

static ip

I set all settings above to what you said and it comes back as says

"please confige one set of DNS to finish the setting"

what does this mean? or what does it want?

dufus dummie

Reply to
googlegroup2006

Jeff Liebermann said

Done

done

Where in the router set up do I type these following instructions? Is it under Tab of Basic settings you have two locations to go to: Internet setup? or Network Setup Router IP? There are these two possible places to type it in at that would accept this type of info, don' t know which area it should be placed in

I typed in the following below as stated and it says ok

Until I can get the gateway working, I havn't pinged it yet

attached computer.

Reply to
googlegroup2006

See:

formatting link
Leave the LAN (local IP setup) (router IP) (whatever) settings at defaults. The router IP should be the default 192.168.1.1.

The WAN (internet setup) side is should be changed to "static IP". Fill in the numbers below.

Hopefully, you typed the following into the attached computer, not the WRT54G.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann said

Yes did this

Router will not accept static ip and gateway ip to be the same. Tried typing 192.168.25.1 at both locations. When I press save router error message says "gateway ip and internet ip should not be the same and will not save.

I tried making the gateway 0.0.0.0 so it would not be the same as the static ip, and then it said "gateway value illegal"

Yes, this is what is on my laptop and not on the router

This exactly what is on the lap top

On the router, which is now set back to the facory defaults because it became locked during this process last night will not allow me to save this figures when I go to press save, so they are all just sitting a zero

So these numbers are typed into the boxes but the router will not let me save them because it keeps coming back with the error messages I gave you above.

I can't save the settings to the box, so I cannot ping it. It times out after the standard default.

All this might be resolved, if we could get the router to save the information that I am trying to type in.

Reply to
googlegroup2006

Jeff Liebermann said

For whatever reason I finally got it working. I finally got the router to accept static ip of 192.168.25.3 and gateway of 192.168.25.1

Then I was able to ping 192.168.25.3

http://192.168.25.3:2222 Did this, and it works find. I see the camera.

So appears inside the local network and router things are forwarding properly now. The internet and WildBlue are still out of the loop.

Where do we go from here? My assumption is to restore my connection to WildBlue and the Internet.

Do you want me to open up port 8080 after I get back on the internet?

Reply to
googlegroup2006

Also check if port 8080 is working as expected. We may need this later.

Cool. Then there is nothing wrong with the router or camera. That setup simulates what a user would see from the internet. If users cannot connect from the internet, than it has to be a problem with WildBlue. This is rather strange as I'm fairly sure WildBlue is NOT blocking ports.

Yes. That's it. Try again, but only change the WAN (internet) settings back to whatever WildBlue requires. We know the rest of the settings now work. The bad news is that you probably get to call WildBlue support and ask them again if they're blocking all external access.

Leave it open. When you call support, ask them to also try port 8080. If they can't connect to that, then there's something really evil going on.

Please note that the WildBlue AUS includes a prohibition against using servers, which is what you're doing. They may be enforcing this in some strange way.

(xiv) run programs, equipment, or servers from the Premises that provide network content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises LAN (Local Area Network), also commonly referred to as public services or servers. Examples of prohibited services and servers include, but are not limited to, e-mail, Web hosting, file sharing, and proxy services and servers;

Using Goggle, I could not find any evidence that they're doing this. However, since WildBlue is now entangled with AT&T (evil incarnate), it's possible.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Called WildBlue Tech support, they said they only block port 80 but they "do not support streaming video". They said I can go to MyPC.com and try it, but I would have to go to them for any support issues.

WildBlue and Internet are back up and I have port 8080 enabled if you want to try it.

I called Linksys tech support and went through all the things we went through recently over again with them as to firmware updates, etc.

They tried to ping port 8080 just a few min ago and they said "it times out" under FTP, or SMPT, or HTTP, or POP3. Their last suggestion as to the problem is "must be the camera or try another router" even though this is the second camera replacement.

My assumption at this point is that the problem does sit with WildBlue.

Linksy has given up and is looking for an authorization to see if they can just take the camera back.

I will leave port 8080 open and remote management enabled till I hear back from you, but I think this is a lost cause.

I'm not sure GpToMyPC.com is even going to work now over WildBlue?

poorer dufus dummie newbie

Reply to
googlegroup2006

Well, your IP address changed a few posting ago. It was at: 70.41.5.65 and is now at: 207.69.137.201 which resolves to ca1462-ch01-bl02.ma-cambridg0.sa.earthlink.net I tried both IP addresses on 8080 and 2269. Nothing.

You'll need to setup a dynamic DNS service provider if this is going to continue. I use:

formatting link
first five names are free. Then it's something like $15/year. I have most of my weather stations and some customers setup with dyndns.com. Works mostly ok, but not perfect. The big problem is that many routers just can't seem to get the protocol right. Various Dlink routers and Dyndns drove me nuts. It would work for weeks without fail, then refuse to update after about 6 weeks. I gave up after juggling routers and went to their Windows client. It works.
formatting link

Sigh. Well, it's always worth a double check. However, you demonstrated that the router combination works with our "simulated" internet connection. There's nothing more to do with the router and camera. They both function as expected.

8080 is unique in that it does NOT involve any form of port forwarding and has NOTHING to do with the camera. From the internet side, it looks exactly like the port 80 configuration pages.

Probably. Are you sure you're giving Linksys and me the correct IP address for your connection? I'm not so sure.

The camera has nothing to do with the port 8080 issue. You can unplug the camera and 8080 (remote administration) should still work.

You haven't beaten this one to death yet.

I just thought of another possibility. Is this your hardware?

formatting link
's only a DOCSIS modem. However, is there any chance you have some model that has a built in router inside the WildBlue "modem"? I couldn't find any reference to such a beast, but it's possible. That would certainly cause this problem. Easy way to check. Go to the status page on the WRT54G at:
formatting link
check the "Internet IP Address". If it's a routeable IP address such as 70.41.5.65, then you have just a modem and my current theory is a lost cause. However, if it's something like 192.168.1.1,

10.xxx.xxx.xxx, or 172.16.xxx.xxx, then you have a router inside the box which also has to be configured to do port forwarding.

Easy way to test. Go to:

formatting link
it show your real Wild Blue IP address? If so, any of the dynamic DNS services will work.

Incidentally, I wouldn't bother with GoToMyPC.com unless you need an integrated package. I use dyndns.com for DDNS and RealVNC for remote control:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

while i was simulating the net I used my old dialup provider to stay online. new IP is now 70.41.5.235 after resetting with Wild blue

I did forget to updatge you when the IP changed last night my error.

Yes I have a 70.xx.xx.xxx address as shown above so at least that seems to not be th problem.

If get to the point of remote Pc will do this. I have no expertise on the DDNS side I am pure software side. so I looked at dyndns quickly and it looks straight forward probably need to get a good network book on dynamic dns and learn how. any suggestions. I assume it is along the same lines as what I was trying to do with Linksys. setup a name and have it point to the address and forwarded port that i assign the camera.

One last note Wlidblue says they don't blcok ports but that they do not support streaming video due to bandwidth useage. he would not elaborate but is it possible that they detect the stream and selective block it or that possible.

Reply to
googlegroup2006

Doesn't work. I can't get anything on port 8080 or 2269 at that IP. (it's midnight in California). I can ping it successfully. I'm out of great ideas. It appears that WildBlue is doing something to incoming traffic.

OK. It's a modem, not a router. So much for that guess(tm).

DDNS *is* pure software. No hardware required.

Book? Whazzat? I read on the internet. Well, I do read various IEEE proceedings but that doesn't count. Anyway, see:

formatting link
enough.

Yep. That's what DDNS is for.

Well, not supported is quite different for not working. Not supported just means that WildBlue isn't going to do anything to help make it work or answer your questions about how to make streaming video work. However, considering the extremely slow speed of your WildBlue uplink, I don't think you're going to like the performance once you get it working.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff performance is not the objective here the ability to remotely monitor a particular location is even if the object was only updated evey minute that would not be a big issue. so considering you can not see into the ports and linksys ddns never was successful what do you think the chance are for the above to work. as I stated all I need to see is the location and updates of 30 to 60 seconds or slow streaming will be ok.

thank you for all the time and help on this challenge.

Reply to
googlegroup2006

Maybe you know this, maybe not. The Linksys camera only streams when someone connects remotely. Otherwise it just sits there. So bandwidth usage only occurs when someone is watching.

Reply to
DanR

Thanks did not know that but considering I have yet to make it work that you might say was last on my list of thoughts. this is becoming a real pain.

Reply to
googlegroup2006

Hopefully, this isn't for homeland security or a vehicle speed trap.

Bandwidth is still going to be a problem with a limited bandwidth satellite connection. Instead, I suggest using ftp (or secure ftp) to upload captured images. The camera grabs an image (at a fixed interval or trigged by a motion detector) and sends it via ftp to my web site. The file names include the date and time. That gives them a unique filename and allows for a history of images. There is software that will morph the JPG snapshots into an AVI or other video movie file format if you want animation.

I have not idea if the WVC54GC can do this. Checking... |

formatting link
No ftp feature. Bummer.

Well, I tried. If you ever find out what Wild Blue is doing to incoming traffic, I would be interested.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
Nope. No ftp feature. Bummer.

Nope not homeland if it was money would be no object. so if I wnt the FTP route and setup that way what would you suggest as far as a camera and software. I have older desktop I could put in the location and wireles back to router. this idea would be just fine I just need to see if changes in this locaton every 60 seconds for peace of mind.

I really appreciate all your time and help so this will close this out until I figure out how they are doing what they do.

Reply to
googlegroup2006
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

I think that's probably the ISP Gateway for the router, and thus can't be the same address as the router. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

I'm not sure what you mean by "that". The IP or the Gateway. Keep reading my original posting. The .1 is the router while .2 is the test computah. Having the router point to itself as the gateway is intentional as:

1. The router is not connected to the internet.
  2. There's no gateway to the internet.
  3. The router c- Setup the WAN port on the router for: Static IP = 192.168.25.1 Netmask = 255.255.255.0 Gateway = 192.168.25.1 or 0.0.0.0 DNS = 0.0.0.0 The "25" is arbitrary but should not be "1".

- Setup the attached computer for: Static IP = 192.168.25.2 Netmask = 255.255.255.0 Gateway = 192.168.25.1

- You should be able to ping the router at 192.168.25.1 from the attached computer.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Gateway = 192.168.25.1 or 0.0.0.0

When you configure a static WAN address in a router, the WAN Gateway address is of necessity something else in the same subnet.

The router actually complained, because the same address makes no sense:

| >Router will not accept static ip and gateway ip to be the same. Tried | >typing 192.168.25.1 at both locations. | >When I press save router error message says "gateway ip and internet ip | >should not be the same and will not save.

In on 30 May 2006

14:01:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: | | >For whatever reason I finally got it working. I finally got the router | >to accept static ip of 192.168.25.3 and gateway of 192.168.25.1
Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.