Linksys Compact Wireless G Internet Video Camera can't access it over the net - need help from someone who does

I am trying to install a four camera system using a linksys compact wireles g internet video camera connected to my Compact PC 1000, using Windows XP, linksys wrt 54g version 5, over Wild Blue Satelitte isp. Firmware updated May 26th.

I signed up with linksys and got the IP link that I am to use to access the remote viewing server.

Everytime I try to access the link site provided by linksys with IE or Netscape I receive the message "the page cannot be found".

I have redone the install several times, called linksys tech support, replaced the camera, and still can't get passed STEP 1.

Linksys Tech support said the camera must be defective. This was their only solution as to why I could not see the site over the internet even though the message I received was "page not found". This type of message to me would indicate the link was bad, or the portal number associated with the link, wasn't correct.

Today I installed the replacement camera. I can see the camera image just fine locally as before, but once I try to see it over the net I still get the message "page cannot be displayed".

I have disabled my firewall on my PC, lowered the browser settings to zero security and accept all cookies.

I agree I must be stupid. What in the world am I doing wrong?

If there are any Saturday surfers who would like to take pitty, I would gladly and grately accept a walk through.

Is there anyone out there who has this net service viewing up and working?

It can't be this difficult. Anyone with nothing else better to do today, I would love to hear from you.

dummy newbie

Reply to
googlegroup2006
Loading thread data ...

For those who might be interested in doing this type of application, I resolved the problem of not being able to remote view with these cameras by enabling NAT.

In doing my setup procedure with the the linksys router software 54g, I had turned off Network Address Translation. When I turned this option on, I am up and running ok.

dufus dummy newbie!

Reply to
googlegroup2006

Yes, this solved the problem on the local side of the router to remote view from another PC, however, it did not solve accessing the camera from outside of WildBlue Satellite Internet router, such as testing it with my old dial-up line.

I contacted WildBlue tech support to see is they were blocking the port Linksys had assigned to this camera to remote view. They said, no, we do not block any ports.

I used Port Dectective to see what it found. It found the port blocked.

A fair warning to those who might want to try to use Linksys cameras over WildBlue High-Speed Satellite Internet. It isn't going to work.

still dufus dummy newbie

Reply to
googlegroup2006

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com hath wroth:

The WRT54G v5 router has been a constant "challenge" for me. What version firmware are you using? (Don't say the latest).

What port number do you think is blocked? 1024? |

formatting link
For some odd reason, the camera uses port 1024 for both DDNS and web service. I don't think that will work. Try picking another port number for the camera (not for DDNS) such as 2222. See: |
formatting link
Then, turn OFF UPnP in both the router and the camera.
formatting link
port forwarding for whatever port you select such as 2222 and set it to port forward to your camera IP of 192.168.1.115.

Any reason you didn't bother supplying the Linksys model number? I'm curious because it seems to be a constant oversight. My guess would be WVC54GC. Is this the correct model? |

formatting link
The default IP is 192.168.1.115. Is this what you're using? Do NOT use DHCP to assign the IP address of the camera as it may change and screw up port forwarding. Use a fixed IP address.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

1024 but also tried 2222

WRT54G V5 firmware 1.00.6

used 1024 but also tried 2222 same results

done

yes

yes

formatting link

yes fixed IP 192.168.1.115 port 2222

Reply to
googlegroup2006

There's nothing magic about 2222. I just picked it randomly. It should work if nothing else is on 1024. I don't like using such a low numbered port as 1024 as it's highly likely that some other incoming network process would also use it.

I would stay with 2222 for now. Change it later after it's working.

Current firmware version is 1.00.9. Upgrade: |

formatting link
fix list is fairly extensive, but there's nothing mentioned about fixing port forwarding problems. It's still worth doing the firmware update.

I just tried to connect on 2222. Nothing.

It looks like you still have the DMZ turned on. Checking with telnet.... yep. Turn the misnamed DMZ feature *OFF*.

Incidentally, the fact that I can distinguish between the results from ports 2999 and 3000 from the internet indicates that WildBlue is NOT blocking ports.

Hmmm... Ping returns 600-800msec latency. Not too horrible for satellite.

Running a port scan, it shows you have ports 1025 thru 1034 open. Nothing open on 2222. Why these particular ports are open is somewhat mysterious. Check your port forwarding configuration. It's probably wrong.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
The fix list is fairly extensive, but there's nothing mentioned about

I tried a new port number 2699. I still was not able to remote view.

When viewing the router settings with a web browser locally, this is how they are set:

Under Tab, Applications and Gaming:

Sub Tab: Port Range Forward

Port Range Application Start End Protocol IP Address Enable

camera1 2699 2699 Both 192.168.1.115 Enabled

This is all this is listed on this tab

-----------------------------------------------------------

Under Sub Tab: Port Triggering

Nothing is listed

---------------------------------------------------------

Under Sub Tab: DMZ

Disable (checked) DMZ Host IP Addres 192.168.1.

------------------------------------------------------- Under Set up

Router name: WRT54G MTU Auto Local IP Address: 192.168.1.1 Sub Net 255.255.255.0

DHCHP Server Enabled Starting IP Address: 192.168.1. Maximum Number of DHCP Users: 50

Client Lease Time: minutes (0 means one day) 0 Static DNS 1: . . . 0 Static DNS 2: . . . 0 Static DNS 3: . . . 0 WINS: . . . 0

-------------------------------------------------------------- Under Sub Tab DDNS

DDNS Service: Disabled

---------------------------------------------------------------

Under Sub Tab Mac Address Cloning Disabled

--------------------------------------------------------------- Under Sub Tab Advanced Routing Nothing set

Under security, nothing is checked Block Anonymous Internet Requests Filter Multicast Filter Internet NAT Redirection Filter IDENT(Port 113)

--------------------------------------------------------------- Acess Restrictions is disabled

-------------------------------------------------------------

Access Server: HTTP checked HTTPS Wireless Access Web: Enable (checked) Disable

Remonte management disabled

---------------------------------------------------------- Status Firmware Version: v1.00.6, Jan. 10, 2006

----------------------------------------------------------------

Just noticed on the camera status log is show it at end address 105 even though we have it set for static ip 115. the video is coming thru to my local pc when logged into IP 115 but the log show video failed after 30 seconds on 105.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I do not have any port scanning software other than a feebie Port Dectective, which when I run, show all the ports you mentioned as being closed.

What software are you using that allows you to see that they are open?

I am downloading the new firmware update after this post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the help

dufus dummie

Reply to
googlegroup2006

The new firmware update didn't seem to help either.

I am going to ditch the Linksys WRT54G v5 router and try Hawkins Technologies.

dufus dummie

Reply to
googlegroup2006

I have the WVC54G camera and a Linksys WRT54GS and it works fine with my SBC DSL. The settings in my WRT54GS are: From "Applications & Gaming" / "Port Range Forward" I have set for "Application" name = Camera Start 10** End 10** (** = your port number) Protocol = TCP IP Address 192.168.1.* (* = your number) Check box "Enable" yes... check that box.

Remember that the camera requires an Active X control to view over the Internet. So you must be using Internet Explorer. And if your using WinXP you must recognize when the Active X control is trying to load to your computer and allow it. You do this only once.

And like Jeff said you must include the port number in the URL preceded by a colon.

Reply to
DanR

Same here. Nothing visible from the internet on 2699. It's kinda hard to test from here with a moving target port.

That's correct. I trimmed all the setting you mentioned that I think are correct.

The starting address got truncated. I think it's suppose to be

192.168.1.100. If so, you have the camera in the middle of the DHCP assigned range. This is generally not a great idea but will not cause a problem until you have 15 clients attached. If you get it working, reassign the IP address of the camera to something OUTSIDE the DHCP address pool.

Enable remote management for a while on port 8080. Be sure to assign a proper password for the router. I don't need to get in. I just need to see if the router is accessible from the internet to be sure that WildBlue isn't blocking ports. HTTP checked is fine. No need for HTTPS if I'm not going to play with the setup.

Huh? Are you *SURE* the camera is at 192.168.1.115 ??? At what IP address do you access the camera on your LAN? 105 or 115?

It won't do much good to scan your router from inside the your LAN. It has to be done from the internet. I'm using Net Tools 4:

formatting link
also use nMap:
formatting link
formatting link
can put together a list of others if you want them.
formatting link
for this exercise, I suggest you use an online port scanner. See:
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I should have added how my camera setup is configured. May help. From "Basic: Gave the camera a one word name. Description: "anything you want" camera location maybe. Date / Time etc. Configuration type: FIXED IP ADDRESS IP 192.168.1.* (again * = your number) Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.1.1 Primary DNS 192.168.0.1 Secondary DNS I left that blank. SSID = your Wifi SSID Network type "Infrastructure" Channel is grayed out. Can't set. Turn off security until you make the camera work. Now go to the "Options" tab. Alternate port: Enable Type in your port number that you set up in the router. (port forwarding) Setup passwords at some time. My camera can have an admin password and user passwords. Users can not change your setting but they can view the camera. Do not mess with the "SoloLink DDNS". There are better FREE options out there.

Reply to
DanR

You give up way too easy. Let's take the internet and WildBlue out of the picture.

- Unplug your router from WildBlue.

- Go find another computer, any computer.

- Connect a CAT5 cable between another computer ethernet port and the WAN (internet) port on the router. You may need a cross over ethernet cable. Just check the lights on the router and the ethernet card to be sure. No lights, get a cross over cable or plug a hub or switch in between the computer and WAN port.

- Setup the WAN port on the router for: Static IP = 192.168.25.1 Netmask = 255.255.255.0 Gateway = 192.168.25.1 or 0.0.0.0 DNS = 0.0.0.0 The "25" is arbitrary but should not be "1".

- Setup the attached computer for: Static IP = 192.168.25.2 Netmask = 255.255.255.0 Gateway = 192.168.25.1

- You should be able to ping the router at 192.168.25.1 from the attached computer.

Now, try connecting to your camera, through the WRT54Gv5 with: http://192.168.25.1:2222(or whatever you're using for port forwarding and camera IP port number). If that works, you have a possible problem with WildBlue port blocking. If it doesn't work, well time to try a different router.

Incidentally, you can also try various port scanners to see how they work with this arrangement. No internet connection required.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Dan I set all my setting to mimic yours above and still no luck. I still notice that in the camera status logs it keeps saying

192.168.1.105 not 115 where the camera is located at on my network. seems odd.
Reply to
googlegroup2006

yes starting is 192.168.1.100 and if it ever works will move it out of the range.

done

Reply to
googlegroup2006

Jeff not sure exactly how to do the above you are surpassing my knowledge base. have the cable both types and hubs. if you can give me a little more guidance as th where I do the above at I will attempt.

Reply to
googlegroup2006

That 105 number is probably the IP of the computer logging into the camera.

Reply to
DanR

I am trying to set the DNS to 000 under

static ip

I set all settings above to what you said and it comes back as says

"please confige one set of DNS to finish the setting"

what does this mean? or what does it want?

dufus dummie

Reply to
googlegroup2006

Yes, after further reading I see what you mean. I agree.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Reply to
googlegroup2006

OK. port 8080 is not open (filtered): C:\\NMap>nmap -T5 -P0 -p 1024,2269,3000,8080 70.41.5.65 Starting nmap 3.55 (

formatting link
) at 2006-05-29 20:50 Pacific Daylight Time Interesting ports on 70-41-5-65.cust.wildblue.net (70.41.5.65): PORT STATE SERVICE 1024/tcp open kdm 2269/tcp open unknown 3000/tcp open ppp 8080/tcp filtered http-proxy Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.703 seconds

I can't connect to port 8080 with my web browser (using either http or https).

Port 2269 (the camera) is also open but doesn't respond to my web browser.

I ran a larger range of ports to scan. nmap -T5 -P0 -p 23,80,1024-3000,2269,8080 70.41.5.65 Hopefully, I didn't set off any alarms at WildBlue. It says you have almost every port except 80 and 8080 wide open. I'm also getting really weird results. I need to dig furthur.

Are you *SURE* you have the DMZ turned off? Those open ports are coming from somewhere.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes, I agree. I see what you mean now after looking at it. Thanks

Reply to
googlegroup2006

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.