Linksys BEFW11S4V4

I have a Linksys BEFW11S4V4 connected to my cable modem. I know it's old and slow but... it works. What I like about it is that it can send it's logs to a pc. You get all the incoming and outgoing url's to a file.. When I need to replace it, what other routers also send the in/out urls to a pc????

Thanks

Reply to
gene martinez
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net (gene martinez) hath wroth:

See Log Viewer 2.1 SP1a:

Works nicely with the BEFW11S4v4. If you're not using Norton Internet Security, uncheck NIS during the installation process. You can see the URL's of what users are browsing. There's a list of other supported routers on the home page.

There's also the official Linksys LogViewer application at:

Really crude but simple.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

What I was asking if I need to replace the BEFW11S4 what newer router has the same logging????

Reply to
gene martinez

snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net (gene martinez) hath wroth:

Sorry, I misread your question. However, I did manage to answer it anyway. Look at the first page of:

which proclaims: Log Viewer supports capturing, viewing and analyzing SNMP trap messages send by Linksys BEFSR11, BEFW11S4, BEFSR41, BEFSX41, BEFSR81, BEFVP41, WAG54G, WAG54G, Linksys/Vonage RT31P2 and similar Linksys routers/firewalls.

What all these routers do is send SNMP traps. They do NOT use syslog and cannot be queried by SNMP MIB browsers. In other words, they're a non-standard adaptation that works quite well for what it does, but no more.

Routers that support the full SNMP ANS.1 protocol pile can sometimes be convinved to generate similar SNMP traps. However, they rarely have the feature found in the aformentioned routers, where the connecting IP address is sent along with traffic information. You can get similar functionality from router that supports SNMP, but not quite as neatly or conveniently as with these routers.

If you need details on how to use SNMP or syslog for logging and traffic monitoring, please disclose what you're trying to log or monitor and I'll offer a potential list of routers that support SNMP or syslog. It's just too broad a function to provide a simple answer.

If you just want similar (but not identical) functionality, please look at:

which have lists of supported hardware. There are many others, depending on what you're trying to log, graph, or monitor.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
gene martinez

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.