linksys befw11s4 v.4 issues

if anyone can help me understand this/these problems i'd appreciate it. i'm convinced it stems from the router, not the internet service itself because it never happens when i'm connected directly to the modem. so here it is. there are times when the connection is fine for a while and then suddenly cuts out. there are times when after i reset both modem and router the connection is alive for 30 seconds and then cuts, repeating like that for more than an hour. there are two windows comps wired to the router and one mac wireless. I have the latest firmware, i'm using wep, on auto speed/duplex, optimized mtu....even filtered out gnutella's ports to save on bandwidth (separate question here...does that last step even make a difference)...yet this keeps happening over and over again. i haven't tested this long enough to see if it matters but i know when i disable the wireless download speeds on the two wired pcs skyrocket...it's the wireless-b router...should i get a g-compatible router, or are there any other ideas...i'd prefer to keep wep on cuz honestly, there are a lot of freeloaders around that frustrated us before it was on...thanks for your help

Reply to
khomezi
Loading thread data ...

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

I had a lot of trouble with this router until I downgraded (!) the firmware. I now use v 1.50.10 and everything is fine.

Reply to
Ron

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

I have a BEFW11S4 v4 at home. I have it because I had to exchange it for a different model at a customers. It would hang erratically. I can hang it with large file transfers, Bittorrent, and streaming video. The firmware version doesn't seem to make any difference. See:

formatting link
a previous thread on the same subject. Sorry no fix and none expected from Linksys.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I had a number of these in my stores. Same problems. I finally gave up and replaced them with cheap Netgear and CompUSA brand wireless routers ($29.99 and $9.99 each after rebatesrespectively). All my problems have been solved!

Note: The CompUSA brand 802.11g router is particularly impressive. It is the only cheap router that I have seen so far that can be configured to run as a repeater. The firmware has been rock solid.

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

Reply to
khomezi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.