Linksys BEFW11S4 router repair

Hello,

I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 router (802.11b) that suddenly stopped working. Does anybody know if these can be repaired? I am pretty sure the power supply is working correctly, but I need to check in more detail. How are these units opened up? There are no screws...just some tabs or holes where a screwdriver can pop these tabs. Could it be a SMT or standard fuse that fried on the unit?

Thanks.

Mike McWhinney

Reply to
eljainc
Loading thread data ...

Throw the thing in the trash and go get another one or if the wire is still working, then convert it to be a switch and use it as a switch. You may get another year out of it.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I don't believe that there are any fuses within the unit. It is held together with those little tabs. How do you know the power supply is working? How did you check it? It should be supplying 7.5 VDC

Reply to
David

IIRC, it's similar to all the other Linksys boxes, pop the tabs up and slide the front off.

However, I'm with Duane, toss it in the trash and get a WRT54G(L), except for the experience of disassembling it, there's no value left in a dead router from the 90s.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net hath wroth:

- Symptoms?

- Any lights on the front panel?

- What happens to the lights immediately after you turn it on?

- What hardware version of the BEFW11s4? It's on the serial number tag after the model number.

- If the lights look normal, can you get a DHCP address on a wired client? (Never mind wireless for now)

- If the lights look normal, can you ping the router at 192.168.1.1 via a wired connection?

- If the above two tests work, you might consider reloading the flash.

I'm sure there's someone out there that knows if it can be repaired. Unfortunately, with the symptoms and details you've supplied, there's not much I can offer. Whatcha got and what's it doing?

$8 will buy you a DVM (digital volts guesser). It's a handy item to have around. The later power supply is rated at 12 volts, while the early versions were 5 volts. The exact voltage is not critical for the BEFW11s4 as it will run on anything between about 4VDC and 18VDC. Measure the voltage.

The black and blue parts of the case come apart using brute force. On some models, there are screws under the rubber feet. See:

formatting link
details and destructions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Mike,

You may wish to have Reggie Grant provide a repair quote:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant Website:
formatting link

Reply to
BradReese.Com=A

It turns out it was the power supply. I found another similar spec'ed PS and it works like a charm now.

I tried the old power supply and noticed that I am getting a whistling sound from it...a very light sound. I cracked open the dead power supply and it looked like one of the caps was melted or at least another component near it was melted.

Mike

BradReese.Com=AE - Leverage Your Cisco Network wrote:

Reply to
eljainc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.