Linksys BEFW11S4 - DHCP Assigning public instead of private IP for Powerbook G4

I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 ver 3 wireless access point / router. I have DSL through speakeasy with a static IP. Normally I have my Powerbook G4 running OS X 10.3.9 plugged in to the LAN via ethernet. This works fine. However, when I try to go wireless via DHCP, I generally get assigned a public IP instead of a private one (like 192.168.1.xxx). A friend of mine came over with an iBook and he connected without problems. He was running an older version of OS X which didn't allow you to press a button to renew your lease, so I'm not positive it would have stayed that way.

Sometimes when I switch to wireless, my IP looks correct at first and I can at least load google.com or whatever the first page I attempt to load is. But then I can't load anymore. Then when I press "Renew DHCP Lease" I'm back to a public IP again.

I'm definitely within range of the router, and my computer shows that I'm connected to my network with a strong signal.

I also tried resetting my router (by holding the button in the back) and then re-setting it up, but I get the same results afterward; good connection via ethernet, bad via wireless.

I've also tried DHCP with static IP, and just static IP with no success.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause this?

Reply to
justinj
Loading thread data ...

Can't help you on your specific problem but I'd like to extend your question. I too have have this wireless accesss/router BEFW11s4 and have similar IP assignment problems [sometimes not even assigned a public address??]. I'd add to your question about this Linksys router itself, has it been known to have any stability problems, or quality control on certain units etc? My router is about 2 years old, so perhaps someone might suggest units that others are being successful with these days. Resetting this router over and over gets quite tiresome...but not that tech savvy to pinpoint the problem.

On a simple 're-power up' on modem and router units, why would the firmware be returned to default settings [my linksys often does, requiring me to re-enter my configuration and WEP key etc]. This is why I my troubleshoot makes me suspicious of the linksys unit itself now.

Reply to
tooly

Well, it is like anything else you can get a lemon. They make them like pop corn and you can get one that can go defective. I use to have a Linksys 11S4 v1 router that I had since 2001 at I had some problems with that had to be hard reset, power down/power up and the whole nine yards on numerous occasions. Once I got a UPS/AVR system and plugged the router into the unit keeping the power clean and constant, I never had another peep out of the router and it ran 24/7 365 non stop until it finally burnt out here recently.

Not that an UPS/AVR is going to fix anything for you and your situation.

Duane :)

Reply to
Hate K-CSC Duane ;-)

Before I buy a new wireless router unit, is there any reason once I plug in the configuration that it should reset as mentioned [without actually resetting it; ergo, simple power off/on should not affect the config once entered, right?]. Since the config is often reset to defaults for no obvious reason, I'm assuming this unit is defective [latest firmware installed etc too].

I picked up a UPS btw. I'm not made out of money that I can be troublshooting by buying out the store...so any help appreciated. Also, if a new unit, 802.11G...right; I've got 802.11b now...just a home user w/2 computers [one laptop]. Linksys or Dlink...decisions, decisions.

Reply to
tooly

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.