Linksys BEFW11S

I have the Linksys BEFW11S4 router and I am ready to throw it out!!! I have used it for about 2 years with no problem. Now it will work for about an hour then just stops responding. I have to disconnect power to router to reset, then it works fine for an hour or so. I have the latest firmware and everything set to default except MAC filtering turned on for the one laptop in the house.

I installed a few others in friends and relative's houses and the others are doing the same thing.

Is there a known issue with these? If so is there a fix?

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
Tony
Loading thread data ...

Its plugged in to the same outlet as the computer, but the computer has no issues.

Reply to
Tony

Which hardware version? I have a BEFW11S4 v4 running that now goes comatose about once a week. I've troubleshot a few of these at customers and found that some configurations are more susceptible than others. One box, that was hanging twice a day, was cured by removing it from the Belkin UPS and just plugging it directly into the wall. What apparently was happening is that every time the Belkin switched on, the power glitch would hang the router. I have another BEFW11S4 v2(?) at a customers was fixed by resetting everything to defaults and setting it up from scratch. Yet another BEFW11S4, at a coffee shop, was hanging because apparently some table was overflowing in the router from the very large number of different wireless devices it was hearing.

For my BEFW11S4 v4, I was getting hangs on a previous firmware version which could not easily be attributed to traffic or power glitches. (It's running on a 12V gel cell). It turned out that I was being attacked from the internet and that some of the probes and exploits were hanging the router.

formatting link
the tests. Even with the latest firmware 1.52.02, my BEFW11S4 v4 hangs on two of the test. (I forgot which two).

In most cases, I find it cheaper and easier to just replace it with a WRT54G model, which doesn't hang.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"Tony" wrote in news:1131372810.296747.270300 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

If the router is taking too many electrical hits on the line because they are not protected properly due to them not being plugged into a UPS AV system to provide clean and constant power free of spikes from other household appliances switching on and off and brownouts, a router could start going defective due to this. I am not talking about some surge protector power strip on the floor either.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"Tony" wrote in news:1131378637.458293.133210 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

A computer and a sensitive router are two different things. Do you not understand what I have said? You should find out what a UPS AVR system is if you don't know. My BEFW11S4 v1 router lasted a little over 4 years being on 24/7 365 before it went out and I have to contribute that to it being plugged into that UPS AVR system and being protected properly, IMHO. Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Mine is version 4. I am going to make a few changes to the settings, its plugged it to a UPS (APC 400) but not sure how much that helps with power issuses mentioned above.

Reply to
Tony

Good suggestion. Just one problem. The Linksys BEFW11S4 does not have a locally stored log file. What it does for logging is sending SMTP traps to a target SMTP log viewer program. In other words, the data is stored on the computah, not in the router. For logging, I use:

formatting link
is a really nice logging program.

My guess(tm) is that the tables that are overflowing are the ARP table (MAC address to IP address) or the bridging table (MAC address to port number).

Incidentally, my BEFW11S4 hung yesterday for no obvious reason. Of course, it decided to hang just before I was trying to demonstrate remote control of my home computah with TightVNC. It never fails. Things ALWAYS break just before important demonstrations.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

In Jeff Liebermann writes: [snip ]

Joe King, on the Personal Computer Show (WBAI radio, NYC) mentioned last week that he found a post somewhere or another that suggested turning logging _off_. It seemed that the log would grow and not do a proper cleanup as it got to its maximum rollover size.

He said he tried the suggestion (don't recall the model numbers [ there were multiple units] ) and the problem went away.

they have a website:

formatting link

Reply to
danny burstein

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.