Linksys BEFW11 s4 as client

I'm trying to extend the range of my wireless network and wonder if I can use my BEFW11 s4 as a client rather than an AP...

basically i want the setup to be:

REMOTE APBEFW11LAPTOP

its sort of an easier way to have an external antenna for my laptop

my wife doesnt really want me to screw with the existing router settings since she relies on that connection for work and stuff...can I do this without messing up what I already have?

Reply to
barnis
Loading thread data ...

Nope. Not supported. What you're basically looking for is either a wireless router that supports WDS (wireless distribution service) or a repeater. Worse, WDS and repeaters are very sensitive to chipset type. They don't work with every device sold. Therefore, your remote AP and the repeater will need to be carefully checked for compatibility. Careful what you buy as it might not work with your unspecified "remote AP".

Nope. No matter what you do, even if it's absolutely perfect, your wife will blame you for every flakey connection, dropout, login failure, internet slowdown, and such. Are you sure you even want to touch her router?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.