Linksys AE1200 USB Wi-Fi adapter keeps dropping connection

(Using XP Pro, SP3) The issue: the Linksys AE1200 USB wifi adapter consistently loses connection after 10-15 minutes, and I have to use the "Repair" option or disconnect & reconnect or remove the adapter and plug it back in to restore the connection. It would appear that I do have the latest driver, but a system search revealed that the associated files are in rather odd places (odd to me, anyway) or not found. I am attaching a list of the driver and associated files' locations.* I'd appreciate it if you'd look at the list and let me know whether or not the files are where they should be. Also, on the off chance that the advanced settings may be incorrect, I'm also attaching for your review a file showing current settings.** I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, and tinkered with the settings a bit (see below for details) and nothing has made a difference. The AE1200 consistently drops connections. Any ideas?

*driver locations:
formatting link
**settings:
formatting link
Thank you very much for your attention.
Reply to
Al Drah
Loading thread data ...

You have the power save mode disabled, as it should be on the settings document.

Also check in the Device Manager (control panel) and verify the Network Adapter like your Linksys if it is found there has the Power Management tab set to NOT "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Just because the device driver is set to not power off does not mean that Windows will not try to power down the device anyway if this option is left checked.

Last but not least, power off your cell phone and any other cellular device(s) and see if the wireless connections stays up. If it does then you need to change radio channels on your adapter/router due to interference from the phone. Even with the phone in idle, but powered on, it responds to polling from the tower verifying it is still able to accept inbound calls which has for some people caused problems with WiFi connections.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Intel(R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection

Thank you for your advice, GlowingBlueMist. Ihave followed your advice, an= d changed the Power Management to NOT "Allow the computer to turn off this = device to save power". No change.

Even though there have been no live cell phones in the house all day long (= and I doubt this is the problem as my laptop, and laptops (all which have i= nternal wi-fi cards) never experience connection drops), I changed the radi= o channel on the router from Channel 6 to Channel 11. No change.

One other possibility (although I'm sure it's a slim one): in the Device Ma= nager's listing for Network adapters there is (in addition to the Linksys A= E1200) another one called Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection. It is d= isabled (per Code 22, whatever that is). Should this be enabled, or is it = only for wired connections? ( screen shot:

formatting link
)

I'm beginning to suspect that the problem is with the device itself. Perha= ps at this point the question I should be asking is if you (or anyone else)= has a recommendation for brand (other than Linksys, of course) of USB wi-= fi adapter that actually works the way it should.

Again, thank you for your advice. May you have a good New Year.

Reply to
Al Drah

after 10-15 minutes, and I have to use the "Repair" option or disconnect & reconnect or remove the adapter and plug it back in to restore the connection.

Since it's a laptop and the problem apparently happens pretty consistently after 10-15 minutes, have you tried taking the laptop somewhere that you can try it with a different access point, like perhaps a McDonald's? If the laptop stays connected somewhere else, but not at home, the problem may be your wireless router or access point.

Also, does this loss of connectivity occur only after 10-15 minutes of idle; i.e., no activity? Or does the connection drop right in the middle of a download?

If network activity keeps the connection alive, you might try tricking it into staying alive by initiating a continuous ping, as in: ping -t 1.2.3.4 (replace 1.2.3.4 with an IP address that won't mind being pinged forever, like your router). That's not a valid fix, of course, but might be a usable workaround.

Reply to
Char Jackson

tion after 10-15 minutes, and I have to use the "Repair" option or disconne= ct & reconnect or remove the adapter and plug it back in to restore the con= nection.

Thank you, Char Jackson, but it is not a laptop. I'm using the Linksys AE1=

200 on an old desktop (Compag Evo D30v -- Intel Pentium 4, 1.60GHz, 768MB o= f RAM). Perhaps I muddied the waters a bit by making mention earlier of "my= laptop" --- but that was in reference to the fact that I do not experience= that problem with my laptop; all of my friends are able to use my wifi con= nection with their laptops as well with no problems.

Network activity does not keep the connection alive. It will die in the mi= ddle of a download (and in the middle of an upload, for that matter).

I have a very strong feeling I should have bought something other than the = Linksys adapter, but there are so many brands out there I have no way of ma= king an informed decision. Can someone inform me?

Any brand recommendations, Char Jackson?

Reply to
Al

I wonder if the inSSIDer program would work with your adapter? It is a freeware program that can be used to view the wireless signal levels and such. Never tried it on a USB receiver but it's worth a try.

formatting link
If it works for you the graphs would show you if the signal level is dropping off, as far as the receiver is concerned, or if another device is stepping over your signal.

I have had some use of D-Link and I believe TPLink adapters in the past with no problems but I have none around at the present to play with. Others here might have a better suggestion on specific models and such.

How many signal bars is Windows showing in the signal level department with your adapter and does it stay steady even when things go bad?

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Thank you, GlowingBlueMist ---- I'm in the process of getting Inssider; it = requires .NET Framework first, and that's taking forever to install. I loo= k forward to seeing what kind of info (if any) Inssider will be able to rev= eal. I'll tinker with it tomorrow and see. In the meantime, to answer your question, status always shows connected at =

5 bars with a link speed of 54Mbps when it fails. Task Manager shows 54Mbp= s link speed, operational, but 0% Network Utilization. 5 bars always shows= , and 99% of the time the speed is 54; I think I've seen it dip to 48 a c= ouple times.

Thank you also for your recommendation ---- I think I'll look into a D-Link= , as I know at least one person (besides yourself) who had one and said it = worked..

Reply to
Al

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.