linking 2 wireless routers

i have just bought a wireless belkin adsl router. I have plugged this in and can access the internet wirelessly fine. However the coverage does not extend throughout the house. I have a Linksys wireless router that I want to use to extend the range. I have turned off dhcp on the linksys and configured it as a gateay rather than router. I have set both routers to use the same ssid and the same channel. However these routers do not seem to be talking to each other. If I run a cable from the lan port of the belkin to the lan port of the linksys it works fine, the linksys acts as a switch as it should but it won't do this wirelessly. Is there any reason, am i missing something stupid? I have used the linksys as a wireless switch before - I enabled internet connection sharing on the desktop attached to a usb wireless dongle. The linksys box was happy then to broadcast the network across the house, it just won't seem to talk with the belkin.

Thanks for any help

Neal

Reply to
neal.atkinson
Loading thread data ...

Yes. You're missing the model numbers of your two Belkins and your Linksys. Last time I checked, both Belkin and Linksys make more than one model of wireless router.

If you're trying to use the Linksys as a repeater, you'll probably need to impliment WDS (wireless distribution something) assuming your Belkin and Linksys boxes support this feature. Otherwise, you had it basically correct. To convert the Linksys into an acces point:

1. Run a cable between the LAN ports.
  2. Disable the DHCP server in the Linksys.
  3. Use the same SSID but pick a different channel to avoid interference (1, 6, 11).
  4. Don't set the Linksys to gateway. Leave it at the default which is "router" as it makes no difference in the operation as an access point.
  5. Don't plug anything into the WAN port on the Linksys.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

thank you for the response

Belkin: F5D7632-4

Linksys: wrt56g

1. I can't use cables to connect the boxes. as they are on different floors. It works running cables between them, but i want to the linksys to be a wireless repeater not a wired repeater
  2. done
  3. tried different channels, both boxes using same ssid
  4. tried it both router and gateway
  5. nothing plugged in there

I am just trying to get the linksys to be non-wired repeater. It seemed to perform this function fine when using ICS and a usb wireless dongle, i'm not sure what i'm missing or doing wrong to get it to work now.

rgds

Neal

Reply to
neal.atkinson

Sorry, the linksys is model:

wrt54g

Reply to
neal.atkinson

WRT54G

Drill the hole. Anyone with a long drill and a bit of construction expertise can do the job unless your floor is made of concrete.

The Linksys WRT54G can play WDS repeater with alternative firmware such as Sveasoft Alchemy or DD-WRT. However, the F5D7632-4 data sheet shows no indication that it supports WDS, so that will not work. As near as I can tell, the WRT54G replacment firmware only support a WDS repeater so there's no other repeater mode available. Sorry, won't work.

You only do the above if you want to use the WRT54G as a wireless access point. You apparently want to build a repeater. They're quite different.

Yeah, now you mention this not so minor detail. In future questions, kindly disclose what you are trying to accomplish before supplying all the details of where you're stuck. It's really helpful to know what you're trying to do.

I don't believe it. There's no repeater mode in the WRT54G other than WDS and the required support for WDS just isn't there.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

i made i quite clear in the first post what i wanted to do, extend the range of my wireless network by whatever wireless methods were available.

my connection, which i already described, was as follows:

pc with ICS & wireless adaptor-->wrt54g standard firmware with dhcp disabled--->wireless laptops

The wrt54g acted as an access point/repeater whatever and broadcast the connection. I wrongly assumed that as the wrt54g natively broadcast the signal from a wireless adaptor it would do the same from a wireless router.

I want a setup like:

pc with wireless>--------

Reply to
neal.atkinson

Different model. For your F5D7230-4 and F5D7130 models see:

formatting link
instructions. One problem is that Belkin doesn't seem to be very consistent in their nomenclature. Sometimes it's WDS but in the above instructions, it's called a "Wireless Bridge" with zero mention of WDS. While "wireless bridge" is somewhat correct, it's also correct for *ALL* types of 802.11a/b/g wireless as they all use bridging. I can see why you say "might".

In general, the chipset used in the device has to be the same. Just for fun, I tried to convince a DI-624 Atheros based wireless router to play WDS with a WRT54G Broadcom based wireless router (using Sveasoft Alchemy firmware). About 30 minutes (and 15 interruptions) later, it wasn't working, so I gave up. My plan was to sniff and capture the traffic with Ethereal for later analysis, but I ran out of time.

Yep. That's a good way of testing WPA and WDS. There are several devices that claim that WPA and WDS are mutually incompatible. This is pure baloney intended to cover up firmware programming issues. There is no relationship to between WPA and WDS. WPA is an encryption method intended to solve the key exchange problems in WEP encryption. WDS is a store and forward repeater standard. I doubt if the routines intersect anywhere. However, there is the possibility that there was insufficient room (or time) to properly implement both WPA and WDS in the limited memory space in firmware, which might explain (or excuse) the interaction. The not so obvious detail that there are devices now available that successfully function with simultaneous WPA and WDS should demonstrate that it would be possible.

Naw. I'm basically evil and consider it my purpose in life to spend at least one hour every day, for at least the last year, insulting anyone and everyone that asks technical questions in this newsgroup. I also am trying to impress them by burying them in technical detail and explanations. The huge amount of money I've received for doing all this ($19), and my collection of hate mail, is my reward. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

Actually, in this case, something else was going on. On Sunday, I apparently was bitten by something that resulted in a rather severe allergic reaction. This also happened last year so I knew the symptoms well. I caught it in time with a large dose of Benzadril (anti-histamine) but wasn't feeling too good for the following 2 days. I was doing a great impersonation of the walking dead during this time, but that didn't stop me from reading this newsgroup and posting my daily does of arrogant and insulting messages. My spelling checker got a workout and I won't pretend that I was totally coherent. Being able to perform my daily insults made me feel somewhat normal, so I guess it's justified.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sorry but that wasn't very clear. I answer quite a few questions and often find that when I ask "What problem are you trying to solve", I instead get the answer to "Where are you stuck" instead. This is what you did. You assumed that your arrangement should work as some type of wireless range extender or repeater and defined your problem around that assumption.

To answer *ANY* question, one needs to disclose:

1. What are you trying to accomplish?
  2. What do you have to work with? (Hardware, equipment, models, software, versions, topography, line of sight, NUMBERS, etc).
  3. What have you done so far and what happened? (error messages).

Don't feel that I'm picking on you personally. Most of the questions I try to answer are lacking in the aforementioned requirements. There are also language and buzzword problems. It's understandable because I don't expect everyone to be an expert in the terminology or technology. If English is a 2nd or 3rd language, there may be grammar problems.

Really? Read your previous two postings and show me where ICS is listed, where you mentioned the USB adapter, where you supplied the correct model number for the WRT54G, and where you distinguished between a wireless and a wired connection. It's possible that this information may be encoded somewhere in your descriptions, but I assure you that it was not obvious.

Good idea. Again, I suggest you purchase separate boxes. Please note that you can always buy a wireless router and use it as just an access point (no router section).

Y're welcome. I spent about an hour writing this reply and another in this thread. How much time did you spend formulating your question?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
T i m
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

With all due respect, it wasn't at all clear what you were trying to do, what units you had, and what you had tried. Worse, some of your information has been inaccurate, which leads to unnecessary confusion.

See "HOWTO: Use Linksys WRT54G as a wireless ethernet bridge"

[SNIP]

So in summary, you don't need two wrt54g routers, nor do you need WDS capable routers. A single wrt54g (with the right firmware) can operate as a "client" of any other wireless router, and create a bridge so any device connected to it will be able to access your network and the internet. The above works great for me, even with 3-4 PCs attached to the wrt54g (verified that it works).

Is that what you want?

Reply to
John Navas

I've been in IT support for too long to say anything else Jeff! ;-)

So can we assume this to be the case between this Belkin and the Asus? I clearly remember seeing 'Broadcom' as the SSID with Netstumbler after doing a firmware update on the Asus and before it returned to 'default' or whatever after a power cycle?

Whythankyou ;-)

And people that claim the concept is the same?

This

Never heard that anywhere before have we ...

That's what I thought and hence why I have been fishing for some facts ..

WPA is an encryption

Understood ..

Ok ..

I doubt if the routines

The only thing I thought it could be was if there was a conflict in the linkup handshake .. chicken egg sorta thing?

However, there is the possibility that there was

Heard that before as well ... "future enhancements" ..? ;-(

The not so obvious detail that there are devices now

;-)

Ah, thought so ... !

Bless ... ;-)

Solvent abuse .. fight with the missus ..?

Ah .. been there recently with our 15 yr old daughter .. ate a pack of dried fruit and nuts on the grounds that the ingredients list didn't include peanuts (we know she is very allercic to them).

This also happened last year so I knew the

Sri to hear that Jeff. We were on the way to the hospital but some liquid anti-histamine seemed to get her breathing back ok ..

It's only what I have quickly learnt to expect from you Jeff ;-)

My spelling checker

Of course it is! I tried being 'nice' with folk once and they soon told me to go back to normal .. at least they knew what they were getting when I was myself! ;-)

All the best and thanks for the help / advice so far ..

T i m (London)

Reply to
T i m

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:55:45 GMT, John Navas

Interesting ...

Hi John,

I seem to be in a similar position now with this Belkin / Asus combo, however I think I'm about to disrupt it all again ...

I was given this Belkin F5D7230-4 as they had lost the PSU and I used it to replace an old-but-up-to-then-trusty D-Link DI-704 basic cable router. All was fine till it seemed to have problems dealing with DHCP and Realtek chip based network devices ..?

Anyway, the Belkin sits happily where the non wireless D-Link sat between my PC and other stuff and not in the 'optimal' position to provide cood coverage to my workshop. So I added the pair of Netgear ME-102 AP's in AP (hard wired to the Belkin) and 'AP Client' mode (in workshop) that have been working ok .. but just with 128b WEP.

So, what would probably be a good practical solution is to simply replace the pair of ME-102's with a pair of WL-300g's on the basis that I can get the one I have now to do what I want as the 'remote' so it should do the same with one of it's own? The Belkin isn't really involved in the deal *much* as it's configured and would be even less so with the link provided by the Asus's and hard wired to the local one?

Does this sound like a good plan (in spite of Asus's tech support telling me I wouldn't get WPA over them?)

I also have a friend who needs to remote an X-Box on his cable modem link .. I have a spare WiFi cable router (Q-Tec 14098) so just need something to be at the other end for the X-Box (so ethernet) .. another WL-300g maybe ..?

All the best ..

T i m

formatting link

Reply to
T i m

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.