limiting time on wireless network

Hi all,

I wish to set up a timed access to the internet for my son - e.g. at

10:00pm the wireless network is no longer available to him...

I have trawled various forums but cannot find anything on the subject.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks...

Reply to
Pel
Loading thread data ...

If you're using a router, then you may be able to use MAC filtering on the router to block his Internet access or if the router can block outbound by LAN IP you can do that. Unfortunate for you, you'll have to do that at 22:00 hrs yourself. It's that or take the power cord.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

No Parent controls by time on the computer's network settings? No software to disable the modem?

Reply to
Rich

Many SOHO routers have a time-of-day configuration available that'll do just what you want.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

But if the OP's router had that feature, you would think the OP would have seen that in the manual.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Duane Arnold" > do just what you want.

I do computer stuff for a living. the likelyhood of someone READING the manual, is about .000001 %.... RTFM is my favorite answer (Read The F...'ng Manual)

Reply to
Peter Pan

If you allow children to have PCs in private places (e.g., bedrooms), then you are asking for trouble. Kids' PCs should be in the most public areas of the house, you should look over their shoulders from time to time, you should review their browser history files, and you should read their mail. Monitor their IM also, but better IMHO to disallow IM for kids.

The 'net is a wonderful resource for kids, but it also a serious danger. I've read that ~20% of kids have received sexual solicitations over the 'net -- and it is the job of parents to intercept the muck.

With the PCs out where you can see them, you won't even need a technology-based solution to limit access; you can send them to bed.

Reply to
Bob Willard

Duane Arnold > do just what you want.

If the OPs unspecified router doesn't have that feature, he can remedy the lack for about $50.

[I don't even remember a recent router with a manual, they all come with CDs, but who ever bothers to read those?]
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

In article , Duane Arnold the router to block his Internet access or if the router can block

Duane with no hint of the hardware in use, truthfully there is no answer for this guy. Some routers like Linksys will allow you to configure hours of availability, but he could be using a Joe's Fly by Night brand AP.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Thanks for the info, running a Belkin G router, no parental control supported any more....

the Belkin does not have a time of day config that I can see or read about.

Any other ideas?

"Duane Arnold" router to block his Internet access or if the router can block outbound by

Reply to
Pel

Considered this option but it does scupper me after 22:00 hrs.....

and if its the power lead then its total shut down not just the network.

need something automatic if possible.

"Duane Arnold" router to block his Internet access or if the router can block outbound by

Reply to
Pel

Bob,

Thanks for the advice, I have monitors in place for this.

My question is about time limits not content.

Regards

Tel

Reply to
Pel

Belkin Router

Reply to
Pel

Specifically _which_ Belkin router, running what version of their firmware?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

William

Version Info Firmware Version 4.05.03 Hardware F5D7230-4

The utility does have parental control but it is my belief that Belkin no longer supports it, hence cannot download it.

Many thanks for your help

Tel

Reply to
Pel

How about: "Kids, you must stop using the computer by 10 and go to bed. If you don't do it then you can't use the computer for the next week."

Reply to
George

Thats the first thing I suggest when people ask for suggestions on where to set it up. There is a lot less chance for problems with the PC is located where everyone can see it.

Exactly

Reply to
George

In the manual I see: /* Setting Client IP Filters The Router can be configured to restrict access to the Internet, e-mail, or other network services at specific days and times. Restriction can be set for a single computer, a range of computers, or multiple computers.

*/

Does that help any? How do you have the Firewall=>Client IP FIlters settings at?

I'm seeing it on the download page, and the manual sounds like it'll work without a subscription. OTOTentacle, you shouldn't need it if the filters work...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

You don't know what you're talking about. I could certainly block access to the Internet by using the block by MAC feature of the BEFW11S4 v1 router way back when to block access to the Internet by any machine wire or wireless connected to the router.

I suspect other routers have that kind of feature in the firmware or maybe they don't have it.

In any case, your point here is absolutely *moot*. You need to go get a life instead of trying to give me your *worthless* point on something.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

It's simple. You should go buy a router that's going to give you the features that you want. You may want to look at a wire router solution maybe one that's ICSA certified. One that can block inbound or outbound from/to WAN IP(s), blockes packets to/from LAN IP(s), blockes traffic on a timed basis and possibly has parent control.

You can convert the Belkin G router to be just a wire/wireless AP switch and plug it into a LAN port on the gateway wire router and still have a wireless solution on the network and control all the access to/from the Internet through the gateway wire router.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.