limited or no connect

Mindy, here are some things that can cause a "no connect"

1. If you have the WRT54G set with... Wireless Security... WPA (any variant). And you have a "B" wireless card instead of "G" in your laptop. Won't go. Check your laptop wireless card for type. Remedy, choose WEP instead of WPA.
  2. I had trouble connecting any "B" device to a new WRT54G v5. Period. And, the earlier versions of WRT54G are just great. Is your WRT54G new? If so, look on the bottom of the unit and you'll find v4 or v5 on the label. If it's v5, I recommend you return it immediately and find a v4 model (Google for how to tell from the serial number; there is no indication on the printed box). Google to see what problems other people are having with v5. I just bought a couple of v4 units at Radio Shack.
  3. Password/WEP code not matching.
  4. Apple? Apple laptop software requires that you setup the router with the WEP key in slot 1, not slots 2-4. Also, Apple may convert from password to hex (digits 0-9 and letters a-f, it's a base-16 number) different. Hmm... Think different, right? Remedy, put in the passcode as hex on both the router and the laptop.

If this doesn't do the job, write again with make and model, what v of the router, firmware, OS, all the details.

Best of the season to you!

-- Sally

Reply to
Sally Shears
Loading thread data ...

signal strength good.....get same message all the time on laptop.....wrt54g......

Reply to
Mindy

can connect by wire no problem, shows wireless network excellent....

Reply to
Mindy

I do this. Using windows to configure the card I was able to get WPA working on the B card so it really can be done.

The word period makes this seem so final you may have had some trouble doing it but the B card works just fine with my WRT54G v5 with WPA TKIP or with no security at all.

that said I do kinda wish I had gotten a v4 instead. I haven't really had any trouble with my v5 but I was looking forward to the possibility of alternative firmware but when I bought mine no one was talking about its differences yet so I didn't find out until it was to late to return it.

Reply to
Noxonomus

Assuming Windoze XP Home....Microsoft not good with error messages in wireless (WZC)......WEP probably failing.......Use hex key instead of ASCII...Different algorithms for converting from ASCII to Hex.....If using WPA, ignore....Pleasea fix repeat feature on keyboard.....Period key appears to be going full auto.....

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

v4 router.....on laptop, noticed the wireless card had been set to "b" yet I reset it to auto "g".....upgraded drivers for wireless card .....Broadcom

802.11b/g ....problem displayed that network didnt assign number to laptop.....running XP Home on HP laptop trying to connect........router to HP computer XP Pro and hooked to Earthlink DSL......

dumb question: set up off quick start that I downloaded from Linksys......should I use MS set up a wireless network option...

Thanks for you kindness.....

Reply to
Mindy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.