'Limited Connectivity'

Last September I bought a Medion laptop with wireless LAN. I linked it up with a Linksys WAG160N router. Right from the start I had problems with initial connection to the internet. The router is always on but when I re-booted the laptop it rarely connected to the internet - giving me the message "Limited Connectivity". The only way I could resolve the issue was by re-booting the router and the connection was then established. Bloody nuisance when I used the laptop downstairs and the router is in a spare bedroom upstairs!

I spent many happy hours trying to resolve this issue with Medion customer support, Linksys customer support, and via this NG. None of the suggested solutions ever worked.

A few days ago I happed to visit Medion's online customer support and had a scroll through their FAQs. There it was : "My Vista laptop will not connect to my Wi-Fi router?"

The solution:

Click Start.

In the Start search type net.

Left click Network and sharing centre.

On the left hand side of the window click Manage network connections.

Right click on Wlan card. Left click on Properties.

Remove the tick from the box that is located next to TCP/IPv6.

left click ok.

Restart computer.

I did that and problem solved. My laptop now connects to the router and the internet the moment it boots up! So why didn't any of the customer support bods at either Medion or Linksys come up with this solution?

Kev

Reply to
Ret.
Loading thread data ...

I don't know but its getting to be a pretty common thing I check these days, early on.

I'd love for IPv6 to take the lead and just have the older ver 4 around for legacy use but I feel it's not ready for prime time yet.

berk "that's not a bug, it's a feature..."

Reply to
berk

NOTE: Posting from groups.google.com (or some web-forums) dramatically reduces the chance of your post being seen. Find a real news server.

This has been a fairly common problem with IPv6 aware operating systems for eight-ten years.

Generally, they're not paid to think.

It's getting somewhat less common, but RFC4697 (October 2006) speaks to the problem of DNS servers that drop or ignore AAAA (name to IPv6 request).

Boy, is that putting it mildly. Your article headers say PacBell in the US. As of mid-month, the five Regional Internet Registries (AfriNIC, APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC, RIPE) had allocated or assigned

96735 networks (2,901,445,219 addresses) in IPv4 land around the world. They also had allocated or assigned just 3537 IPv6 networks. Looking only at the US, the numbers are 34834 IPv4 and 880 IPv6 networks. See
formatting link
and
formatting link
While IPv6 allocations/assignments are large blocks (the _smallest_ IPv6 assignments are /64s (about 6.4 billion times existing IPv4 space), only a tiny fraction (1/40th of 1 percent) of IPv6 space is in use.

Hold your breath? I sure wouldn't. Still, if you do have IPv6 connectivity to the world, a 'traceroute6' can be funny as even backbone connectivity isn't as great as it could/will be.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.