Latitude D600 Linksys WPC54G Not working well

I have a Dell Latitude d600. I have installed the Linksys WPC54G and it will connect to my wireless router for someplace between 0 seconds up to about a couple of hours.

I look at Device Manager, it has a yellow circle with a black ! in the middle.

The device status says This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

I am also using the Newest Bios 18.

Does anyone know how to trouble shoot this?

Reply to
jonknutsonhome
Loading thread data ...

On 29 Jul 2006 06:52:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: : I have a Dell Latitude d600. I have installed the Linksys WPC54G and it : will connect to my wireless router for someplace between 0 seconds up : to about a couple of hours. : : I look at Device Manager, it has a yellow circle with a black ! in the : middle. : : The device status says This device cannot find enough free resources : that it can use. (Code 12) : : I am also using the Newest Bios 18. : : Does anyone know how to trouble shoot this?

Well, I had a D600 for more than two years until I exchanged it for a D610 last month. I have a WPC54G (the oldest model), and it worked fine with the computer. So I suppose it should work for you too.

OTOH, you've given us very little information to go on. What OS is installed? How much memory do you have? What driver are you using? What placements of the computer and the router have you tried? For that matter, what's the brand and model of the router? Etc., etc. The one thing you *have* told us (that you're at BIOS level 18) is suspect: the latest version available on the Dell Web site is 16.

Reply to
Robert Coe

Sorry.. i am on Bios A18

I have Windows XP SP2 I am using the driver from the WPC54G CD that came with the card.

I have a linksys wrt54G wireless router. Placement has been with my computer sitting on the same table as the router untill i get this to work.

I has nothing to do with my router as i have other computers that work fine with this wireless router.

I'm trying to figure out how to trouble shoot the error

The device status says This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

Reply to
jonknutsonhome

i mean bios 16

Reply to
jonknutsonhome

On 29 Jul 2006 14:18:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: : Sorry.. i am on Bios A18

Where did you find it? I've never seen it, and it wasn't on the Dell site as of early this afternoon, Eastern time.

: I have Windows XP SP2

XP Pro, right?

: I am using the driver from the WPC54G CD that came with the card.

Check the Linksys Web site and see if there's a more recent one. But be careful; there are several versions of that card, and some of them take different drivers. Linksys is pretty good about telling you what works with what, but you do have to look.

: I have a linksys wrt54G wireless router.

I don't believe I've ever seen a Linksys router or AP that was shipped with the latest firmware. The latest in your case is 4.30.5, which came out this spring. A peculiarity is that after you install it, the router reports itself to be a WRT54GL. Another peculiarity is that the installation partially hoses your settings, so you may have to reconfigure the router. But since you're having problems, I'd definitely go to the Web site and get the latest version. (I've upgraded all my WRT54Gs, so I'm not telling you to do something I wouldn't do.)

: Placement has been with my computer sitting on the same table as the : router untill i get this to work.

That should be close enough. :^)

: I has nothing to do with my router as i have other computers that work : fine with this wireless router.

You may well be right, but I don't think the conclusion follows. If the router's firmware is much older than the card's driver, or vice versa, there may be an incompatibility that hasn't shown up in your other tests.

: I'm trying to figure out how to trouble shoot the error : : The device status says This device cannot find enough free resources : that it can use. (Code 12)

The one resource that I've found to be critical is memory. You ought to have at least 512MB for what you're trying to do.

Most (or at least many) D600s have an internal wireless card. I take it this one doesn't? If it does, I'd make sure it's turned off, although I'm pretty sure I've run both wireless interfaces simultaneously on my D600.

Have you Googled the exact error message? I've found that no matter what screwy error I encounter, I'm rarely the only one.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Coe

On 29 Jul 2006 15:17:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: : i mean bios 16

OK, that's more like it. I'd about concluded that you must work for Dell, since you claimed to have a version of the BIOS before their Web site got it.

Reply to
Robert Coe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.