Laptops interphering with each other

Hello,

I have 2 laptops, both running XP Pro SP2 at home on a 802.11g network. Individually they both receive an excellent wireless signal, however if they are both in use at the same time one constantly loses its connectivity (while still reporting a strong signal). It is always the same one which fails (Toshiba Satelite Pro).

I'm at a loss as to what would cause this, so any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Reply to
jm2926sp
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com hath wroth:

I'm also at a loss, mostly because you haven't described your setup. What wireless router? What model laptops? What wireless devices? Wireless Zero Config or the manufacturers connection manager? How far away are the laptops (I know you said the signal is strong)? I'm not sure this information will be helpful in assigning the blame, but it can't hurt. No points for being vague.

I suspect the only way to troubleshoot this problem is by substitution. Drag your Toshiblah laptop to the nearest coffee shop with free wireless. Wait until there's a mess of users with laptops. Try the Toshiblah and see how it does in an RF polluted environment.

Do the same thing at your location. Invite your friends and enemies over with their laptops. Repeat the test with and without your unspecified model other laptop running.

If it survives in the coffee shop, but not at home, it's your unspecified model wireless router.

If it survives at home, with your friends laptops running, then it's either the router or your other laptop. If it disconnects the same way with your friends laptop running, then it's probably (not sure) your Toshiblah laptop.

Incidentally, I've done lab tests in the past with as many as 90 wireless clients running live on a single wireless access point. It's also commonly done by WISP (wireless ISP) systems. The most common failures that I saw were NOT in the wireless client end, but failures in the firmware in the router. For example, go unto:

and pull down the chart to "Maximum simultaneous connections". Some of the commodity routers can barely maintain more than a fist full of connections. I've seen this on some test units, where a new connection would force a disconnect of an other previous connection. If this is what happens, check your unspecified model wireless router for the latest firmware update. While your at it, also update the client driver.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.