Laptop wirelless card : howto improve reception

Is there some way to improve reception of a laptop nic wireless card? It may sound silly, but would adding a antenne or something work?

Seansan

Reply to
Seansan
Loading thread data ...

Please provide the following info:

1. Operating System
  2. Make & Model of your notebook card
  3. Make & Model of your Wireless router or Wireless Acess Point
  4. Where is the AP in relation to the laptop?
  5. Is your home single or multi-level?
  6. Have you installed the latest firmware for your card and AP?
Reply to
Doug Jamal

Hi, I would like to know how to do the same thing. I need about 5 more ft. in range to get good signal. I have the belkin pre-n router and pre-n card in the laptop. I am running win xp. I am trying to get accross the street to my Mom's house with my laptop. I can get inside the house but not strong enought to sit down and keep a strong enough signal. I need just a little bit stronger signal Is there a way to put antenna type thing on my laptop. Any info would be helpful, thank you.

Reply to
BGrimes155

If the laptop has USB ports, then you may want to get a USB wireless adapter and put a simple directional antenna on it if needed. The USB adapter will also allow you to move the antenna to a better spot for connection. The below link shows a very simple directional antenna setup for improving a connection.

formatting link

Reply to
Si Ballenger

When at home I use USB wifi adaptor on 1.2m cable placed 5' high in line with window facing the router in next building. Lot easier to position for best signal, you can also place A4 card covered in silver foil and bent 90deg behind the USB adapter. USB adapters can be on up to 5m of cable without problems, antennas require special cable and lose a lot of signal per ft. In any event I figured it was cheaper to buy USB adapter. (My original PC Card doesn't work properly on my desk.) Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

If your rendition of "across the street" the typical yardage, then the signal should be strong enough. Try placing the AP next to the window nearest the house that the signal is to be received. Check the settings on both the AP and the notebook card and see if you can alter the transmit power.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

You can improve the WAP end of it with a free reflector, especially if you are only interested in incrasing the range toward one location.

EZ-10 is easy to make, and good for 10dB.

formatting link
The web site is a little out of kilter. The EZ-10 isn't there today.
formatting link
EZ-10

Reply to
dold

Try boosting or putting a larger antenna on your router or access point.

Reply to
Rodney Kelp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.