Laptop WiFi Problem, wired NIC works WiFi does not - any ideas please?

Just had a mate on the phone and has the following problem.

His partneer has a nice new HP NC4000 and they have put a W400 Mini PCI WiFi card into it.

He is using a BT Voyager 2000 modem router on TalTalk

He also has an old Tosh laptop with a 54g PCMCIA card in it and that works fine in WiFi with the router so all appears well there.

The NC4000 can connect to the internet via the thernet port hard wired to the router, but in WiFi mode it finds the SSID of the router and reports a connection, but when connecting to the internet via IE it reports a DNS error. It also cannot ping the router via WiFi.

At first we thought this was a problem with the W400 card as it was bought used from eBay, but have also tried a USB WiFi stick and the 54g PCMCIA card from his Tosh laptop, and all give the same symptoms.

So last night I talked him through fixing the DHCP range in the router to

192.168.1.100 - 255, router has IP 192.168.1.1.

Then fix the IP address of the WiFI connection inthe NC4000 to IP addy

192.168.1.10, subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1 Prefered DNS 192.168.1.1 Sec. DNS as 192.168.1.10

He has now done a clean install of XP Pro with SP2 and all of HPs updates, and still has no WiFi access to the internet. Wired is still working. Wired connection works with both fixed IP address of say 192.168.1.9 or obtain automatically.

We also tried this yesterday on my home LAN with WiFi using his Tosh, my N410C and the above NC4000, the other two laptops were OK but the NC4000 still refused to connect in IE. Thats is when the XP istalation seemed flakey, and I suggested a reinstall, but still the problem remains

Any idea gfolks, this one has me baffled.

TIA

DeeBee

Reply to
DeeBee
Loading thread data ...

Didn't you post that same q in another thread? if so, I replied there.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.