laptop WiFi Card Antenna

I am using a IBM R30 ThinkPad laptop computer at work. I use a Netgear Wireless Model WMB521 Card. Is there anyway to add a external antenna to increase the reception range.

I know I can buy a rang booster, but lacks mobility.

Reply to
2006April
Loading thread data ...

How about this:

Reply to
RWEmerson

I think you mean this

formatting link

Reply to
Curly Bill

Check into external USB WiFi stuff. I use an external USB device with my laptop with built in wifi, usually when I travel, and need to point the trans/rec/antenna toward whatever ap I am using..I also use it in the car, so I can keep the laptop on my lap and put the USB device by the window. (at home/work I use the internal to connect to my own wifi systems). Small, fits in the laptop bag, and easy to hook up if I need that extra oomph.

Reply to
Peter Pan

technical term for stronger signal :)

Reply to
2006April

Sounds good, but assume I need to crack open the PC card to get to the internal antenna?

Reply to
2006April

Even better then, leave the built in stuff to use when feasible, and spend a buck on self stick velcro squares. Put one on the lid of the laptop and one on the bottom of the USB device. When you have the lid open, just stick the USB device via the velcro.. This is not one of the USB WiFi dongles I'm talking about (although you can use one of those with a USB extension cord too).. this is a USB device with it's own antenna. I have one stuck to the back of my laptop lid and am using it know, cuz the internal WiFi doesn't work in here (dead spot, will work a few feet away, but not this chair where I like to sit and watch TV)... I have a linksys wusb54gp Wireless-G Portable USB Adapter

formatting link
stuck to the back of the laptop, and can put a 10ft or 20ft USB extension cable on it if I want to put it far away (or use the laptop in the car/truck (I use it on the roof of my RV to get extra height)

Reply to
Peter Pan

I see, you must have the USB wireless card. We have the PCMCIA PC cards issued by company. I think the antenna is build-in and I have no access to the internal antenna connection.

Reply to
2006April

While some of the laptops I have now have built in WiFi and internal antenna, some do not and use a pcmcia/cardbus card. The external USB device can be used on either, and if there is built in, it overrides what is there. Since I use different systems with different built in stuff (or none), twas easier to just use the USB external and always have something that worked, no matter what laptop I had. (even works on my desktop at home too).

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.