Laptop troubles

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 13:14:03 -0700 (PDT), berk wrote in :

The part you snipped is correct: The only thing that could happen is a hardware error (malfunction), which could be manifested in a variety of ways (e.g., Blue Screen Of Death ).

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

I'm done, you have fun now.

berk

Reply to
berk

Reminds me of when I was younger and green. We did contract work for a company subsidiary and at this particular location we maintained their Fujitsu Starlog phone switch. Since they had access to the equipment room, somewhere along the line they put a chest type freezer in the ER. Other than space considerations I paid it little mind. However, the phone system started having strange issues to the point that I had to schedule periodic reboots. After some months of this the more experienced tech who had installed the system came on site to help me with some project and pointed out, quite correctly, that the freezer didn't belong in the ER and told the powers that be to remove it. Remove it they did and the issues with the phone system went away.

Dirty power is the bane of telecom equipment.

- Nate >>

Reply to
Nate Bargmann

: > I couldn't stand not knowing, so I tried to repeat the exercise in the : > kitchen with the laptop on battery pack only. : >

: > Absolutely no problem. : >

: > So it was NOT an EMF issue, it was dirty power supply off the AC line. : : Reminds me of when I was younger and green. We did contract work for a : company subsidiary and at this particular location we maintained their : Fujitsu Starlog phone switch. Since they had access to the equipment : room, somewhere along the line they put a chest type freezer in the ER. : Other than space considerations I paid it little mind. However, the : phone system started having strange issues to the point that I had to : schedule periodic reboots. After some months of this the more : experienced tech who had installed the system came on site to help me : with some project and pointed out, quite correctly, that the freezer : didn't belong in the ER and told the powers that be to remove it. Remove : it they did and the issues with the phone system went away. : : Dirty power is the bane of telecom equipment.

Equipment should be designed so dirty power system are not a problem.

I've worked in and on avionics, marine and medical equipment. In each case poor design is the fault but other equipment is blamed.

Reply to
NotMe

True, and no argument. But all three of those markets (unless by "marine" you mean cheap fish-finders) have life-critical requirements and budgets that demand a much higher level of testing. If consumer-grade AC adapters were tested to such specs, a cheap $99 VCR would cost how much--$1k? $10k? And likely be much larger.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Fenwick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.