Laptop Sees Router But No Internet

I recently purchased a Linksys WRT300N router. I also bought a used Gateway MX6448 notebook running Windows Media Center 2005 with a built- in Broadcom 802.11g wireless adapter. I was able to successfully get my desktop (hard wired) to work great. I can get the laptop to work great IF I hard wire it to the router, but I cannot get it to work wirelessly. The network connection is good with an excellent signal.

I checked the IPCONFIG. The desktop has an IP Address of

192.168.1.100. The laptop has an IP Address of 192.168.1.101. I can ping Yahoo from the desktop, but I get an error when I try to ping wirelessly from the laptop.

I am running Windows XP SP2 on my desktop along with Zone Alarm for my software firewall. ZA sees the new network when I establish the wireless connection.

Where do I go from here? THanks.

Reply to
rte66man
Loading thread data ...

On 20 Apr 2007 14:37:56 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

1. Hard reset the Linksys router to factory hardware defaults, and start over.
  2. Leave all wireless security turned off until you get the wireless working, then use WPA with a strong passphrase. (Nothing else really works.)
  3. See wikis below for lots of useful info.
Reply to
John Navas

I bet your DHCP has not set the Gateway on your laptop to the routers IP:

192.168.1.1. You can do that manually in the XP wifi setup. Regards, Martin
Reply to
Martin²

I checked the Wireless Network Connection Status. It shows Address Type: Assigned by DHCP IP Address: 192.168.1.101 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

What else should I check?

Reply to
rte66man

See if the DNS servers IPs are correctly assigned. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

What would the correct settings for the DNS servers be? I have a printout of them at home that I will check later tonight.

Mark

Reply to
rte66man

What would the correct settings for the DNS servers be? I have a printout of them at home that I will check later tonight.

Mark

Those IP(s) would be listed for a good connection that you had that was wired, when you did the IPconfig /all for a machine that could access the Internet. You could try dropping ZA on the wireless to see if ZA is giving you problems on the wireless side.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

On 23 Apr 2007 13:34:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

The correct DNS settings normally come from your ISP by DHCP or PPPoE.

Reply to
John Navas

Here's what I found:

- DHCP is enabled

- Autoconfig is enabled

- IP Address is 192.168.1.101

- Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0

- Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1

- DHCP Server is 192.168.1.1

- DNS Servers are: 68.12.16.25 and 68.12.16.30 and 68.12.2.30

It sounds as if I should get with my ISP. I really don't like doing that as it is almost impossible to get a liver person w/o going through the AI disembodied voice.

Thanks. Mark

Reply to
rte66man

As a temporary measure have you tried disabling your firewall, just because it's seen your new network doesn't mean it's going to allow anything through.

Reply to
phil

Try pinging your DNS Servers. which router and modem (if different)?

Here's what I found:

- DHCP is enabled

- Autoconfig is enabled

- IP Address is 192.168.1.101

- Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0

- Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1

- DHCP Server is 192.168.1.1

- DNS Servers are: 68.12.16.25 and 68.12.16.30 and 68.12.2.30

It sounds as if I should get with my ISP. I really don't like doing that as it is almost impossible to get a liver person w/o going through the AI disembodied voice.

Thanks. Mark

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Posts are starting to be made about personal FW(s) preventing wireless connections from working.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

I spent aboout an hour on the phone with Linksys last night. After numerous tries, he admitted they could not tell me whether the router or the wireless card was at fault. I'm going to take the laptop out today and see if I can connect through a WiFi hotspot. If I'm having the same problem, I will have to think the wireless adapter needs to be replaced.

I appreicate all the advice I've received through this post.

Mark

Reply to
rte66man

Have you tried turning off ZoneAlarm? That's usually the first thing do if I'm have a strange connectivity issue. Can you ping google.com or yahoo.com from the command line? If yes, then your wifi connection is OK but you have a settings issue on your laptop config.

Reply to
Wayne.B

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.