Laptop Only Connects to Home NW

My Compaq laptop running Windows XP connects reliably (including Internet Sharing) to my home wifi NW, but has NEVER been able to connect to any other wifi.

Here's my wifi setup for two desktop PCs and one laptop PC on my home Netgear wifi:

Netgear WGR614 wireless router connected to a cable modem and desktop PC #1 via ethernet cable.

Netgear WG511 wireless PC card in #2 desktop PC.

Netgear WG311 wireless PC Adapter in my Compaq laptop.

I set up my home wifi using all the Netgear suggested setup settings. This wifi NW works fine. The two desktop PCs and the Compaq laptop all share the single internet connection. File and print sharing work fine as well. I am NOT using WEP or NW Authentification.

My problem is that my laptop has never been able to make a wifi internet connection via any other wifi network elsewhere including public wifi hotspots and a home wifi at my daughters townhouse. Other laptop users there can use her wifi just fine.

When I try to make an internet connection via my daughter's wifi, I can see her home wifi NW together with several other wifis in her neighborhood. However I can't get my laptop to connect to any of these. I have the password (key) for my daughters wifi, but my laptop refuses to connect.

What allows my laptop to find, connect and gain internet access on my homw wifi, but no where else??

Help!

Reply to
dennise9
Loading thread data ...

On 8 Feb 2007 13:23:07 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote in :

WEP security? If so, enter the WEP key in _hex_ (not ASCII).

What happens when you try to connect to an open public Wi-Fi hotspot?

Reply to
John Navas

Hmm - probably not a WEP issue - since the author stated that they are not using WEP. I would check the settings in your Netgear software for the wireless NIC. It's probably set to the SSID of your home network. If you use the pulldown menu you will see that there is a choice for "Any (First available)"

Reply to
eric

On 8 Feb 2007 16:07:32 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@webercs.com wrote in :

Not a good idea to use that choice (which can result in inappropriate/unwanted connections) -- better to select the specific SSID.

Reply to
John Navas

Opps!

My original home wifi NW description was in error.

The correct configuration follows:

The WG311 Wireless PCI adapter is in desktop PC #2 (NOT the WG511) The WG511 Wireless PC Card is in my Compaq laptop. (NOT the WG311)

Dennis

Reply to
dennise9

(...)

Maybe exept that one would not need a "password" to connect to the WGR614 if some form of encryption were enabled. So, is WEP or WPA encryption enabled?

I just had a nasty little battle with a WGR614v6 (not the latest). Nothing worked right. Slow downloads, erratic packet loss, flakey wireless, and even a dead LAN port. I clue was that the office also had a dead Efficient 5360 DSL modem, a failing Panasonic fax machine, and the copier repair person arrived while I was working. Hmmm... Power line glitch fried some hardware.

Lacking anything better to try, I managed to re-flash the firmware in the WGR614v6 with the latest version. Like magic, everything fixed itself except the dead LAN port. Oh well. I replaced the DSL modem and all was well.

Reading the original question, it's not clear whether the desktop with the WG311 PCI card functions correctly. If so, it's unlikely that there's anything wrong with the WGR614 (version number???) except perhaps antique firmware. However, if the desktop also fails to connect, then the router should be suspect.

Assuming that the desktop works, then the problem is probably with the unspecified model Compaq laptop. My guess is simple configuration and the usual muddle with encryption keys, profiles, settings, authentication, etc. Also, Windoze Wireless Zero Config versus the Netgear client manager. I like John's idea. Go to a free coffee shop (no encryption) and see if it works. Don't bother with the neighbors wireless access points as they're probably encrypted.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

To repeat, on my home wifi, all works fine (including my Compaq laptop with it's WG511) with no encryption is used.

My daughters wifi does use encryption. So using her "key" (and enabling the laptop's WG511 WEP encryption) I tried to access her wifi. No go!

I'm heading to a "coffee-shop" free wifi and will post back with results there.

Dennis

Reply to
dennise9

Coffee-shop success!

Well after making sure my WG511 encryption was disabled, Internet IP address and DNS address were set to get automatically from ISP and my Wireless Access point was enabled ... whew; I managed to connect to and access the Internet at three different free wireless hotspots.

As for making an encrypted wireless connection at my daughter's house, I'll have to try it again next time there. Maybe I tried to use the "key" that she gave me as a "pass-phrase" instead of one of the encryption keys.

Can anyone advise me regarding getting on an encrypted wireless network with a given "key":

When changing the WG511 settings:

- how do I know if my daughter's "key" is 64 bit or 128 bit?

- do I enter the key as a pass-phrase?

- or do I enter it as a key?

- if a key, which key should I use: 1, 2, 3 or 4?

Thanks in advance.

Dennise

Reply to
dennise9

On 12 Feb 2007 09:29:42 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote in :

Good!

WEP: Enter _all_ keys in _hex_ (not ASCII), including the one in your daughter's wireless router. You'll normally use Key #1 (of 4).

WPA: Enter the passphrase exactly.

With either:

• Make sure MAC filtering is turned _off_ -- it doesn't do any real good in any event.

• Make sure SSID broadcast is turned _on_ -- hiding it does no real good in any event.

The software determines that automatically by the length of the key you enter.

Only for WPA.

Only for WEP.

Normally #1.

Good luck!

Reply to
John Navas

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net hath wroth:

OK, the laptop is deemed working without encryption.

Ummm... The WG511 PCMCIA card does NOT control encryption. Encryption, channel, speed, and just about everything else is controlled by the wireless access point. You shouldn't have to do anything on the laptop except select an SSID and supply an encryption key.

If she's using WPA encryption, it will be a "pass phrase". If she's using WEP encryption, it will be either in the form of a 5 or

13 letter ACSII (text) key, or a 10 or 26 character Hex key.

Use the Hex key and NOT the ASCII key for WEP encryption. There's a problem converting from ASCII to Hex which different manufactories do in various creative manners.

By the length. 64 bit is 5 characters of ASCII or 10 characters of Hex. 128 bit is 10 characters of ASCII or 26 characters of Hex.

For WPA encyption yes. For WEP encrytion use Hex to be safe.

Pass phrase is the same as a key. They might also be called a "password" or "encryption key". Terminology seems to vary depending on vendor.

You'll only have that choice for WEP 64 bit. Use #1 for 64 bit WEP.

Good luck. This should be easy from here (famous last words).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.