laptop connection problem

Hi

I bought a Sony Vaio PCG-Z1RSP laptop (PCG-581M) a few months ago on > ebayand have now > decided to use it on the net. > It has an inbuilt wifi connection (wlan802.11b)but im unable to connect > to > my router (lynksys wireless g) with it when wifi switch turned on.. ..( > page unavailable shows) Ive ran the new network connection wizard > etc also ive > tried to use a Linksys wireless G network card but it still does not > connect > when software installed. am i missing something or could the laptop be > missing something? > Any help welcome thanks >
Reply to
Pompey ©
Loading thread data ...

Did you check security and set the key? Is your router set to B & G connections? Are you getting an IP address? Have you checked your Firewall settings to allow connections to router? Do you have another computer that is wire connected to the router and does it have connection to internet? Is the wlan on, on the laptop? Is the laptop seeing a wireless network?

Reply to
TeddyBare

Ok first you do not need to run a new connection wizard as your windows wifi connection should show the available wifi networks for you to select one to connect to.

now find out if you are actually connected:

Start > Run > type "cmd" to prompt to DOS and type "ipconfig" and hit Enter; you should see your IP address leased from your router. Normally on linksys the IP address is 192.168.1.xxx.

then from your DOS prompt type: Ping yahoo.com

just to make sure that you are connected to the Internet.

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

Ok first you do not need to run a new connection wizard as your windows wifi connection should show the available wifi networks for you to select one to connect to.

now find out if you are actually connected:

Start > Run > type "cmd" to prompt to DOS and type "ipconfig" and hit Enter; you should see your IP address leased from your router. Normally on linksys the IP address is 192.168.1.xxx.

then from your DOS prompt type: Ping yahoo.com

just to make sure that you are connected to the Internet.

-aljuhani

Ive done as you have suggested above and this is what i get in the cmd.exe window...

C:\\ Document and Settings\\Sony}ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter wireless network connection: Media state............ : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter local area connection: Media state.............: Media disconnected

Reply to
Pompey ©

Ok then you are not connected, please do the following:

Start > Connect To > Show all connections

Now you should see a connection named " wireless network connection "

double click it and it will display the wifis available to connect to. select your wireless hotspot and connect.

now you should see an icon on task bar showing the connection status.

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

Ok then you are not connected, please do the following:

Start > Connect To > Show all connections

Now you should see a connection named " wireless network connection "

double click it and it will display the wifis available to connect to. select your wireless hotspot and connect.

now you should see an icon on task bar showing the connection status.

-aljuhani

Hi Nothing on start Menu to 'connect to'.. went to network connections via control panel wireless network connection icon says not connected,firewalled When i click the item a 'Choose a wireless connection box comes up but says ' Windows cannot configue this connection'

Reply to
Pompey ©

Reply to
Pompey ©

Ok then a third party software is managing your wireless card and you can use that software to connect to wireless lan or change over to Windows wireless zero configuration.

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

Ok then a third party software is managing your wireless card and you can use that software to connect to wireless lan or change over to Windows wireless zero configuration.

-aljuhani

Hi The Windows wireless zero configuration has worked!!.. I turned windows firewall off to do it.. If i turn it back on will i lose connection.. if so what exception would i make to allow connection.. or wouldnt it affect it? Thanks

Reply to
Pompey ©

Personally I do not use windows firewall and instead relying on Zone Alarm / Norton Internet Security and Linksys built-in firewall. Windows firewall require configurations of services that you will require to access the Inernet and in addition I would guess defining your trusted zone.

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

check this link:

formatting link

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

Personally I do not use windows firewall and instead relying on Zone Alarm / Norton Internet Security and Linksys built-in firewall. Windows firewall require configurations of services that you will require to access the Inernet and in addition I would guess defining your trusted zone.

-aljuhani

Hi

The windows zero configuration work for half hour which enabled me to get all windows updates etc but now i have trouble getting it to stay 'ON'.. Ive set the setting to Automatic and clicked start.. it connects ok then within a minute or so it stops.. I watch it in the configuration window go from start to stop.. Any ideas? Thanks Dar

Reply to
Pompey ©

first you'll need to define your wireless connection as the prefered connection and select only to connect to prefered network.

double click the wireless connection on task bar then under General tab select properties then Wireless Networks tab and there enter your SSID under prefered network.

Click advanced and pick the first option (prefered networks) and make sure the bottom most option to connect to non-prefered network is disabled.

Or otherwise it could be a wifi issue that require changing of your broadcat channel.

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.