Lan connection

My computer uses XP O/S and a dial-up connection. Having disconnected the telephone line to the computer, but without uninstalling the dial- up software (in case I had to use the connection again). I set up a LAN connection using the Home Power-Plug system, between a broadband wireless modem router and my computer. Network properties shows that the Lan connection is working and running at 100mbps. (no red crosses showing in task bar) Using Internet Explorer, however, I am not able to connect to the internet. Each time I attempt to connect to the internet, the dialup connection flashes on the screen. Is it neccessary to make the Lan connection the default - how do I do that.? Do I also need to uninstall the Dial-up software.?

Thanks in anticipation.

Reply to
Disperion
Loading thread data ...

Well, not really a wireless question, but...

In Internet Explorer, it is under Internet Options on the Connections tab. Check the option to Never Dial a connection. That should do it.

Gordon Montgomery

gordon . montgomery @ gmail . com

Reply to
Gordon Montgomery

Thanks for that Gordon, I seem to have focussed on the software aspect rather than the internet aspect. Having now looked at the connection tab, I am sure your solution is correct.!

Reply to
Disperion

I think you also might need to go into System prefs > Network - then click on the starwheel and move your internet access to the top of the list

Do this anyway, as if it is not at the top each you connect it seems to start looking from the top down.

I found my net access speeded up a lot when I moved ethernet to the top, after I changed from WiFi connection tot aethernet connection

David

Reply to
David

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.