Lag Issues

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice with a problem that I'm having with my home network. I have a 2wire 2700HG-B wireless router/firewall with two computers connecting to it. One computer (my desktop) is connecting hardwired, and the other is a relatives laptop which is connecting via wireless.

Basically I've had no network lag at all in the 2 or so years that I've been using this router. Recently my brother moved in and has been using his laptop to connect wirelessly. I play World of Warcraft so at first I thought maybe it was server lag or something local to my computer.

After a bit of troubleshooting I'm 100% positive that the lag is due to his laptop. All that I really needed to do was go into my router's settings and disable the wireless aspect and suddenly all the lag goes away. I thought that perhaps someone in my neighborhood (or possibly several people) were leeching off of my internet connection so I changed the encryption from WEP to WPA for more security. Now when I go into my router's wireless settings and disable the wireless aspect all together the lag immediately goes away. I've tested this dozens of times.

I think he's using some sort of torrent program to download a whole bunch of huge files all at once. I'm not sure if that is what would cause these kind of symptoms but either way, whatever he is doing is bogging down my network too much. I was wondering if there is some way to limit the maximum network usage that he is able to get so that it doesn't affect my computer's connection to the network. If anyone can help me with this I'd really appreciate it.

-Josh

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
gijosh316
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 18:27:45 -0500, gijosh316 wrote in :

I think your analysis is probably correct. You can only throttle him if your router supports that capability.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.