Lady-in-Distress needs your help Re.WiFi Connections please!

-Hello All, I hope you can push me in the right direction regarding the MINEFIELD I've found with WiFi networking!

To start then this is what I want to do. I tried before Christmas and it all went horribly wrong, I took the stuff back for refund and now want to try again.

A] 1 PC, 1 Laptop. Want to be able to access the Internet (maybe both machines at the same time if possible).

B] I live in the country so although the security side of it (WEP, WPA/PSK) is important, I'm not likely to have neighbours/nasty-people-in-Vans-parked-outside stealing info.

C] Neither PC or Lappy has wireless adapter inside - I need dongles or PC Adapter card

Is it possible to a) Hard-wire WiFi modem/router into back of PC then b) install dongle/or PC Adapter in lappy, rather than have dongles in BOTH PC and lappy? OR do I need to use dongles/adapter cards in BOTH PC AND lappy?

Which TYPE of modem/router do I need? There are sooo many types/standards, difficult for the absolute beginner to know WHICH one to go for, but I think (after reading a lot online) G+ probably OK? What about N standard? And what is MIMO ?

D] Next question is - What's the best manufacturer? There are quite a few sets costing in the £40 -s now, as there are in the £90 -s - Belkin, NetGear, Buffalo, etc etc. Which seems to be the Easiest and mist reliable please, but not costing the Earth?

E] BT customer, not Cable.

Sadly, because I live out-in-the-sticks, I can only have BB connection of 512 anyway, but as long as it doesn't degrade slower than this it's fine. Just need to wait for BT to get their act together for us country-bumpkins!!

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me out with this.

Thank you,

xxx-

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Snowdrop
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.