Komando's beer can reflector

Kim komando put out a video showing how to cut beer can to become a reflector for a Wifi router.

formatting link
So, since my Linksys WRT 54G has two antennas, Why two, and which one do I use, or do I need two reflectors?

Mikek

Reply to
amdx
Loading thread data ...

Pouring perfectly good beer down the drain? Sacrilege.

The one labeled "main". Unfortunately, it varies with hardware version. Which hardware version do you have? See serial number label. The "main" antenna is usually the one with the shortest RF path between the antenna connector and the diversity switch. See photos:

If you have alternative firmware installed, you can set it to use just one antenna.

The reason for two antennas is for diversity reception. Switching between two antennas in receive does a good job of eliminating frequency selective fading.

For non-boozers:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link

WRT54G V 5 Looks like the right side antenna looking from the front. I might try something for my internet radio. It's two walls away and on occasion has problems. I seem to recall a screen that said 70% signal. I don't have a beer can, I'll try Dr. Pepper. Btw, all those versions, have they got it right yet? Actually, I'm very happy with it, I bought it used. 7 or 8 yrs ago for $25, most I've had to to do is reset the power once in a while. Mikek

The "main" antenna is usually the one with the shortest RF

Reply to
amdx

formatting link

I have seen a reflector on each. If you had ddwrt you could select. I'm sure some kind of diversity is being used to optimize something. The beer can is sharp. I built the cardboard- aluminum foil type. Safer. Are your antennas removable, and how much gain do they have.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Ugh! The worst of the line, IMHO, and not worthy of the WRT54G name up to that point. Linksys was out to make hay with that model name, no matter how different they were under the hood.

The WRT54GL (L for Linux) is arguably the best of that line. It's essentially a WRT54G v4, or at least very similar.

I have a V5, too, that my sister was throwing away because it was so unstable. I was able to flash it to dd-wrt and it's been rock solid ever since. I don't reboot any of my routers. Instead, I rely on the power outages we get once or twice a year around here.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Retch, barf, puke, etc. Mostly a piece of junk with the stock firmware. I'm really surprised that it's been working for you. Whatever you do, don't change anything. Most of the one's I've seen hang often and require contant reboots. I've had limited success with installing DD-WRT replacement firmware on V5 and v6 routers. Some versions work, while others seem hopeless.

Yep.

70% signal should be a quite solid connection. Howver, you can have 100% signal, and it still won't work if you have an interference problem. Look at the SNR (signal to noise ratio) or signal quality indication for a clue.

Go the hardware store and get some aluminum roofing flashing and do it the right way.

Nope. It's been downhill since the WRT54G v4 and the WRT54GL (same PCB). Linksys/Cisco gave up at v8.2, having succefully poisoned their best product. In design, it's called "pissing in the soup" which suggests that the typical buyer can't tell the difference between soup and piss:

Amazing...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Less wasteful video here:

formatting link
[]'s

-- Don't be evil - Google 2004 We have a new policy - Google 2012

Reply to
Shadow

formatting link
>

Need a 16 oz can there.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.