Jeff, you were correct about the Omni!

I replaced this 40" antenna

formatting link
a 70" 15db gain Comet and there is little or no difference in the way it works for my particular situation. The Comet is no worse so I will leave it installed and may use the other for another project.

BTW, In the documentation that is included with the Comet, they state that the antenna is 12db gain not the 15db as advertised. I agree with you 100% and believe now that the 40" generic omni is only 9 or 10db gain at most.

Thanks alot for your help.

Reply to
nobody
Loading thread data ...

My names not Jeff. Try email.

Reply to
Jim

No,you are not Jeff Liebermann.

"Jim" wrote:

Reply to
nobody

Well, you're not really going to see much difference between two antennas with 3dB difference. First, the gain calculations are full of assumptions and are usually far worse than specified.

2nd, as I mumbled about high gain omni's, the vertical radiation pattern is so narrow, that the position of the wireless client is probably the most critical performance element. The tilt of the antenna makes a huge difference.

Yep. That's what I guessed. I should notify the various web sites that have it wrong, but I'm lazy and don't need the aggravation. If you have a chance, kindly tell the vendors that their specs are not the same the manufacturers.

Y're welcome. I still think high gain omni's suck for most applications.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.