Issue with wireless print server and wireless expander

I am endeavoring to set up a print server that would ordinarily be at the very edge of the wireless range.

Goal is: WGPS606 (netgear wireless print server) to WRE54G (linksys wireless range expander) to WRT54G (linksys wireless router) to WRE54G (same wireless range expander) to wireless laptop

When I try to print this way, I'll usually get a few lines to print successfully and then the job fails.

If I move the printer into the room with the router and connect wirelessly to that directly, the printer works fine.

If I leave the printer connected to the range expander and move the laptop so that it connects directly to the router (still wirelessly), the printer works fine.

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me sort this out--it's frustrating to have to leave my office and walk to the other end of the house to pick something up off the printer. I can't for the life of me understand why the printer is failing--unless that's just too many handshakes for the WGPS606 to handle?

Help! Thanks.

Reply to
brian.cook
Loading thread data ...

Wireless print servers - I tried two a year ago and was not successful in getting either to work correctly over very short distances (within same room). Even the set-up software didn't work correctly on one of them. Then I saw a few months ago that inexpensive ink-jet printers were becoming available (I bought one for US$88) that have integral wireless (wi-fi) and wired Ethernet, and it works flawlessly. Throw the wireless print server in the trash. I don't know if this will solve your problem, but you can eliminate at least one component from your system.

Reply to
Dave

That means the WRE54G range expander (repeaters) is causing a problem. Try it without the range expander (i.e. turn it OFF) and see if it works.

Yep, it's the range expander.

My guess(tm) is that the WRE54G range expander is somehow screwing up. An easy test would be to run a benchmark test, through the range expander, using a 2nd PC connected in place of the print server. If the thruput sucks (I think it will), you have the culprit.

The problem is that such repeaters are poorly defined and NOT tested. They usually (not always) work with a single manufacturers equipment. Mix vendors and chipsets, and you run the risk of an incompatible combination. Your Netgear print server and Linksys repeater are probably the issue. There are also multiple mutations of the WRT54G, some of which (i.e. v7) use an odd chipset, which might be problem. Hard to tell without doing mix and match testing.

Unfortunately, If the range expander turns out to be the problem, I don't have any brilliant suggestions on how to fix it. You might consider running a CAT5 cable to the other side of the house and installing a 2nd wireless access points (on a different RF channel to avoid inteference). Power line (HomePlug) and phone line (HomePNA) networking are also alternatives.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.