ISPs kicking routers off internet?

Hey there,

Want to know: is there some signal an ISP can send to your router that will disable it? Some ISPs don't want their users sharing the internet, and I've heard rumours that there is actually some sort of signal they can send out to disable the internet on their routers.

If so, this may be happening to me: I have a wireless router set up so I can have the internet in my living room, but every now and again (about 3 or 4 times a week), I loose internet completely, and the router is unable to reconnect. It gets some error like "cant get ip address" or something. The only solution is to unplug the router & modem and plug them back in.

Anyone else ever heard of this? Any details you can point me to on this mysterious signal? Any details I can look up? Any solution to stop the drops anyone can offer?

Rob

Reply to
Rob
Loading thread data ...

If you are DSL, you may have a problem I encountered, in that I was at the exteme limit of the service (about

12,000 feet I believe). When upping my dsl speed, the modem started erroring out and resetting. When they dropped my speed back down, the problem went away. The explanation was that by doubling my speed, the errors to the modem increased exponentially. DSL does not care what or how much you downoad, as it is a dedicated line... many of the cable companies are now limiting uploads to a gigabyte a month or whatever. If you are on cable, that may be a possibility, but as you are resetting so often, I would doubt that to be the problem.
Reply to
L83R

"Rob" said in news:1153201407.495796.80310 @p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Could be their server screwing up or maybe you should try updating the firmware on your router. If it's their server, not much you do about it.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Attic

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:46:33 +0100, L83R wrote (in article ):

Er, not true - I don't know about the US, but here in the UK many DSL providers *DO* limit downloads (e.g. BT's basic package (£14.99pcm, IIRC) caps users at 2GBpcm - this is true for many ISPs in this country.) Even those packages which state 'unlimited' are usually subject to a 'Fair Use' policy (FUP) - for example my ISP lets me download as much as I like between

8am and 6pm during the working week, but caps downloads between 6pm and midnight and weekends to 50GBpcm. I have never encountered a limit on uploads but, then, I don't upload all that much (despite my ISP's assertions to the contrary - the other day they accused me of uploading over half a terabyte in a week - pure bullshit - even if I left a P2P app running 24/7 I'd nowhere approach that in so short a time, I wouldn't have thought).

Though, as you say, I would have thought uploads would be capped, otherwise people could upload anything and everything.

Reply to
Margolotta

ISPs calculate both uploads and downloads into your useage limit.

If you download 2GB and upload 1GB, that would total 3GB of your monthly useage.

Reply to
Roger

Sounds like your router is failing to get a new IP off the ISP's system..

Maybe if you supplied more info we could help you out a little more. Eg. Make, model of router.. how it's wired up etc.

Reply to
Doz

The ISP can get into your DSL/Cable modem and disable your router if they provided it, they can also disable your connection at other locations.

I've had ISP's disable users devices (ISP owned) because they were compromised.

Reply to
Leythos

They could DOS it I guess, but that'd be fairly radical not to say probably illegal. Otherwise, no.

TBH I've never heard of one that actually cared, despite contractual notes - they're selling you fixed bandwidth by and large, they don't care what you do with it, inside their acceptable usage policy.

FUD.

Two possibilities: you have a flakey connection (ie your cable/phone line is just a bit too poor quality) or you have a flakey router. My old router started doing this, turned out to be a duff power supply. Look out for patterns eg high usage, high temperatures, same time every day - could be the ISPs server busying out due to excess of students / schoolkids etc...

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Users should buy their own router and not accept the one the ISP owns or can control. They should get one that is approved to run on the IPS's network.

At one time, I was going to use DSL for hosting a WEB site. They hit me with we have our router that we provide. I got on the phone with tech support and found out what type/specs on the router that was needed to connect to the ISP's network and got the information.

I never did buy the router and moved on to something else.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Well, yes and no and maybe. A couple of possibilities:

1) You are using BitTorrent or some other file-stealing program, and your router can't handle the number of requested open sockets, so it falls over. Well-nown problem, just starting to get some press, and manufacturers are starting to deal with the problem with firmware updates. Make sure you have the latest firmware, and tune your client to reduce open sockets. 2) Some routers will fall over if sent particular packets, so someone ould be sending your router one of these Pings Of Death. Unlikely to be your ISP, though. Check for the latest firmware... 3) Your router (or your ISP's router) isn't properly negotiating a DHCP renewal. Check your firmware. 4) Your ISP _is_ somehow detecting that you are doing Something Wrong, and is disconnecting you. If this is true it shouldn't come back with a power cycle, so I'd give it a low probability.

We need some more information:

Manufacturer, model, hardware version, and firmware of your router.

Name and location of your ISP, cable, DSL, fiber, wireless?

ISP DHCP lease time (from the status page on your router).

Router DHCP lease time from ipconfig/all

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless

If your router can do a MAC clone, use that and they won't know the difference.

Reply to
Meat Plow

They could still disable your access to the internet, even with your own router, as they can just block access from your device at their equipment.

Reply to
Leythos

You don't say who your ISP is but I think this problem isn't so common now.

No problem with Plusnet as far as I can tell.

Reply to
CWatters

Do you have a dynamic IP address from your ISP? Could be a simple matter of the ISP breaking the connection in order to assign a new dynamic IP. When I was using Charter for internet access, there were times the connection would fail and it seemed to have originated from the ISP in order to assign a new IP address.

If that is the case, you may have to restart your router > Hey there,

Reply to
Jerry Park

It is most likely a problem with your router. Please specify your make and model.

You state that you power cycle both the router and the modem. Is that necessary, or is it sufficient to do the router alone? Is your firmware up to date? Are you running any uploader software such as bittorrent?

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

"Rob" hath wroth:

Does your ISP charge by the number of connected computers? If so, they might have a reason to do this. However, if they don't count computers, why would they care if you're using a router?

The closest approximation was when Comcast and others wanted to charge an extra $6/month for each connected computer for "residential" class service. The NAT routers were assumed to be able to hide the presence of additional computers. However, some research into sequence numbers and traffic patterns showed that the number of machines behind the firewall could be deduced. Comcast apparently used these and possibly other methods to estimate the number of computers in use. They then turned over the numbers to an obnoxious phone pool that called each customer and demanded the extra $6 per month per machine. Consumer reaction was predictable and the plan died after about 2 weeks.

Anyway, if your ISP wanted to retaliate against your sharing your connection with the neighbors, they would probably persue legal remedies and not technical measures.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link

Unplug both the router and xDSL modem from power. Enable the s/w firewall on the PC. Connect the PC directly to the modem. Power up the modem. Configure the PC connection if required.

Monitor the connection for 24-48 hours. If the condition persists, call MTS.

Reply to
James
[snip]

Now that is interesting. Never ceases to amaze me how stupid ISPs are sometimes. Fairly pointless exercise number 5243. Did no-one think that Customers would "depart the ship" when they found out ? One way to dump your Customers off to the opposition I guess.

S
Reply to
Steve Berry

"Steve Berry" hath wroth:

It hasn't change much over the years. The current Comcast Terms of Use limit their own "home networking" offering to 5 computers. See the first section of:

formatting link
The Subscriber Agreement is hereby modified solely to permit you to use the Service in connection with the multiple connection of up to five (5) personal computing devices within your Premises to the Service (the "Comcast Home Networking Service") etc...

I wonder what happens if you plug in the 6th computer? Ka-boom?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You and about 75% of other router users. Most of the routers available use a conexant chipset and are, to be frank, pants. It is very very common to have to do this, and nothing to do with the isp.

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.