ISP DNS issues

I'm having problems connecting with a certain web server on the internet, Clear Channel. My ISP is a local wireless company. My system consists of desktop with ethernet card, laptop which connects via wireless, both connected to a Linksys WRT54gc router. Everything works fine, both peer to peer and computer to internet, email, newsgroups, IM, and for the most part browsing. There are probably more web sites I can't access, but the one I'm certain of is that Clear Channel site. Either computer and both browsers (IE and Foxfire) turn up a "Server can't be resolved" screen for that site.

I've put the addresses into the Hosts file (XP sp2) and can get to the site. I had my ISP's tech guy work on the issue and he did indicate the problem was in his system, but he wasn't sure what it was. I'm sure as soon as we quit talking that he quit working on it, so if someone could give me some helpful tips to pass along to my ISP I'd greatly appreciate it. He flushed the DNS cache and that didn't help. I don't know how many other sites will have this same problem for me, but I'm sure this isn't the only one.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
nItpIk
Loading thread data ...

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 08:28:04 -0700, "nItpIk" wrote in :

Sure. Don't use DNS from clueless ISPs. Use decent DNS servers instead. One solution is to run your own DNS resolver, which isn't terribly hard. Another is to ask permission to use a different DNS server, or to buy some minimal service from a DNS provider or different ISP.

Reply to
John Navas

Try using the opendns servers as your DNS provider instead of your ISP. Their IPs are:

208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220
Reply to
Bryant Smith

Just the ticket! Thanks guys.

Reply to
nItpIk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.