Is WAP2 the same as WAP-PSK ???

I have a dell with WAP-PSK that I can't get to validate identity on a WAP2 protected wireless network.

Thanks!!!

Reply to
Lily
Loading thread data ...

I perhaps should have also said both are set with AES encryption.

Reply to
Lily

No.

WPA != WPA2

Reply to
Bod43

I definitely understand "No", but I don't understand what the "!" stands for. Thanks for your answer. Do you know of a link that spells out the difference between WAP2 and WAP-PSK?

Reply to
Lily

"Lily" hath wroth:

The reason you may not be finding anything is that you have two characters transposed in the acronym. It's WPA, not WAP.

WPA2 is not the same same WPA-PSK. The encryption methods are different (TKIP for WPA and AES for WPA2). The authentication methods are also different (Michael for WPA and MIC for WPA2).

If you need help with some kind of wireless problem, it might be useful if you would describe what hardware and software you're using, what you are trying to accomplish, and what error messages you are getting.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You know, I am confused about the acronym. I see it as WAP in lots of places and WPA in others. Why is that?? I may be mistaken, (and I am not at the same location as the laptop right now), but I would have sworn, that it said WAP. But like I say, I could be wrong.

I thought WAP2 (or WPA2) came in either AES or TKIP. Is that incorrect? Not that it is important to my question.

It is both a wired and wireless network at the home of a friend. The husband set it up as WAP2 - AES (or WPA2 - AES). One of the laptops can't connect. It is a Dell Inspiron 700m. IT has a choice of WEP, or WAP-PSK, or WAP-TKIP (I think - I'm not there but those are the notes I made). I set it on WAP-PSK with AES and it won't connect. Naturally, I put in the passphrase, but still no connection.

Reply to
Lily

Thanks Jeff, I guess I am too tired today. It is WPA2 (not WAP2). The router is set for WPA2 and AES. But the Dell Inspiron 700m does not have a WPA2 option. It only has WPA-PSK. Is that what I can't connect??

Reply to
Lily

On 2007-08-25, Lily intrigued me by typing:

What is the make and model number of your wireless router? Double check the wireless security options on your Dell Inspiron 700m. Although I haven't researched the specs of that particular PC, many wireless devices offer the following choices: WEP, WPA (Radius), WPA-PSK (TKIP and/or AES), WPA2 (AES). You stated that your Inspiron *only* has WPA-PSK. I am assuming that is what you or someone else set it to. To simplify matters, being that your PC's wireless device is already set to WPA-PSK, check to see if it gives you an option for the cipher (TKIP or AES). If it does not, assume that it is TKIP, then adjust the options in the wireless router's menu to match that of the Inspiron. If it gives you a choice between TKIP and AES, choose AES and then adjust the wireless router to match. Of course, make sure your passphrase is the same on both devices. If the settings on both devices don't match, they will not be able to communicate with each other which, in turn, means that you will not be able to connect. I hope I made sense. I'm very tired and am getting ready for bed. Take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

"Lily" hath wroth:

WAP is usually a "wireless access point". That's rather easy to confuse with WPA (wi-fi protected access). Too error is human as I've mangled acronyms myself more than a few times.

That's just one of the differences. Some routers allow a choice of using TKIP or AES encryption with WPA. However, WPA2 is always AES. There are also substantial differences in the authentication mechanisms between WPA and WPA2. See the Wikipedia article or:

for details.

Yep.

It's WPA2. Try not to become part of the problem. WPA2 is always AES encryption. However, you have a choice of WPA2-Personal (also known as WPA2-PSK) or WPA2-Enterprise (also known as WPA2-RADIUS).

Does the Dell 700m have an operating system? I'll assume XP Home.

There are some Windoze updates for wireless that include WPA2 support. See:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks VERY much and I just downloaded (but actually they refer to the same download WindowsXP-KB917021-v3-x86-ENU.

Reply to
Lily

Sorry, will get that on my next visit. It is definitely set to WPA2 - AES.

The Dell Inspiron is definitely set to WPA-PSK. It did not have a WPA2 option. It has XP Pro on it and I am thinking that the options are derived from windows.

It offeres WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP or AES) and that is it. Nothing else.

I walked into the office and checked the setup of a wireless laptop and saw that it was connecting and the setting on it was WPA2 - AES. That was also the setting of a Sony VAIO laptop that was connecting wirelessly. Thanks so much for taking an interest in helping me!!! :-)

Reply to
Lily

I should have worded the question as in the subject line of this post:

Is WPA2-AES the same as WPA - PSK AES???

Reply to
Lily

Hi!

Typos?

It's WPA, for Wi-Fi Protected Access. There's a WAP, but that means "wireless application protocol".

The DD-WRT v23SP2 firmware that can be used on some wireless routers will let you select AES+TKIP with WPA2. It seems to work, which means that it's either acceptable or at least a tolerable violation of the specs.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

NO, It is not. WPA-PSK implies and indeed is WPA and it is NOT WPA2.

I had to update with the update which Jeff so kindly furnished.

The update put the option of WPA2 on the laptop.

THANKS Jeff and everyone who contributed and helped!!!!

Reply to
Lily

the != means it does not equal

Reply to
David

formatting link

Do you know

Reply to
Airman Thunderbird

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.