Is there a path around VPN?

No, you're just thickheaded, and just fundamentally don't understand network routing.

If you stand in a line of people and someone ELSE hands you something into your left hand, and you then pass it along to the person on your right that's ROUTING.

If you reach over and pickup something with your left hand YOURSELF and pass it along to the person on your right THAT'S NOT ROUTING.

Same deal with copying files. If your computer copies the file that's not routing. It'd only be routing if the other computers (on either side) made a connection request at the TCP/IP stack level, independent of anything you're running on the computer, and it went through. VPN clients do not do this. They do not act as network routers, they act as a client for that workstation to make it's own connection into the distant remote network.

Wrong. Unless the laptop is deliberately configured to pass packets AND the remote end is also configured then nothing will get passed. On a desktop machine you'd have to enable Internet Connection Sharing over a the PPTP/L2TP VPN link. Then the remote end would also have to have been configured to pass packets. It's not enough for just one side of a routing connection to get things going.

Well, you've certainly demonstrated you truly have no grasp of network routing principles. If that encourages others to read up on the matter then that's great.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney
Loading thread data ...

Hey, now there's maturity. What're you, twelve? No wait, if you're dumb enough to use that term then you'd have to at least be in your thirties. Even more pathetic.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Browse/connect as if I was physically on-site. Upload/download/save/open files to/from any shared folders whether on workstations or servers subject to domain permissions.

However I did not login to the domain even though my machine was part of the domain. What I mean is that when the laptop was standalone it used cached credentials. I could only connect to the VPN once I was logged into my machine so I remained on the cached credentials which only got updated when I went on-site.

All other non-VPN activity was unaffected and ran through external IP address and not the client's network.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.